Notifications
Clear all

Will my accutane course be enough?

MemberMember
(@jbleez122)

Posted : 04/19/2016 8:39 pm

Hey Folks,

I am on my 3rd month of 20mg claravis (21M Weight 54kg) and am starting to clear up nicely. I am on a lower dose because my acne ranges between mild and moderate and I also suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and my derm doesn't want it to flare horribly and make it worse. My derm only wants me to do a 6month course of 20mg a day. Do you guys think this will be enough? I have calculated it and my total cumulative dose will be about 67kg per kg. I know the recommended dose is 120mg per kg...He says he doesn't like to "overdo it for patients with more mild acne". Do you guys think this will be enough to put me into remission for a while? I'd rather take this stuff longer and not have to take it again ever. Please let me know your thoughts and/or experience with the lower dose accutane courses. I found this study online which gives me hope. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16546586

Let me know what you all think.

Thank you,

James

MemberMember
(@jbleez122)

Posted : 04/21/2016 6:30 pm

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@maggie1989)

Posted : 04/22/2016 5:29 am

Hi James,

I'm not a doctor but I think people taking accutane should reach cumulative dose in order to avoid relapse and acne coming back. Your doctor must be concern about your seborrheic dermatitis so that may be a reason why he wants you to stay on a low dose. Your acne may come back though. Ask him if you could do low dose but stay on it for a longer period of time. I'm 170 and weight 50 kg. I was on 20 mg for the 1st month, 40 mg this month and I will be on 60 mg for remaining 4 months if my blood tests are OK. The recommended dose of accutane is between 120 mg to 150 mg per KG.

Ps,
I had mild but persistent acne that would leave red marks on my cheeksand Ialso had oily skin.

Hope it helps.