Notifications
Clear all

How severe is my scarring?

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 04/17/2016 9:10 pm

How bad are my scars...light, moderate, severe? Honestly it only looks bad in certain kinds of light. I think it's the roughness and huge pores and texture that makes it look worse than it really is. It used to look sooooo much worse but using various at home treatments I got it to look a little better. How can I get my skin to look better. I don't trust lasers, and I think the cost and risk out weighs the benefits. I don't want to mess my ski up even worse. What do you all think? Dermastamp, subscision, peels? I hate the orange peel texture so much and if I can get rid of that I feel like if look so much better, even if my scarring only improves a bit. I hate looking in the mirror so much, how can I help the orange peel skin, pores, and scars...sorry for the long post. Thanks to everyone! You are all always so helpful!all of these pics are in the worst lighting possible btw 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 04/18/2016 10:15 pm

Anyone? Please....

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 04/18/2016 11:52 pm

Mild to moderate. You can benefit from treatments such as Subcision, needling and TCA cross.

jibarra47 liked
MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 04/19/2016 1:31 am

Just fyi, I haven't had any surgical treatments done for ice pick scarring or scarring in general so take my answer with a grain of salt and do your own research :). Personally, I would say your scarring is pretty moderate. In certain pictures, I can barely see it. Ice pick scars suck, but there are several treatments available. Punch excision seems to be the one that would work for you, it is specifically used to treat ice pick scarring. I understand your hesitation to try laser surgery, but for ice pick scarring, there really isn't any type of home treatment. After going through with the punch excision, you will most likely have to return to your dermatologist for laser resurfacing to even out the skin. Your concerns can be properly addressed with a licensed and certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. I would definitely give them a call, they can walk you through the treatment that will wok for you and address the issues you have with lasers. 

It is such a relief to reach out to a medical professional, believe me, before I talked to my derm, I was spending $100's on OTC and home treatments and facing disappointments over and over. Once I got my appointment and got the prescriptions, things started to get better and it's a great feeling to finally let someone who is experienced and professional worry about my skin rather than experimenting with a hundred things at home. I really wish you all the best of luck :)

jibarra47 liked
MemberMember
(@paul-b)

Posted : 04/19/2016 4:25 am

For the benefit of people reading this thread who are trying to educate themselves, what type of scarring would we say we are looking at here?

My diagnosis, and correct me if I'm wrong - would be that they are prominently rolling scars, with a couple of big ice picks and a few boxcars thrown in too.

Then, perhaps - people can recommend specific types of treatment for each one, as presumably there's no one treatment that is going to be the solution for all issues.

jibarra47 liked
MemberMember
(@templeofdoom)

Posted : 04/19/2016 10:31 am

Agree with you Paul B - There's a mix of all 3 types of scarring. I'd personally say they are also mild - moderate.

Now OP!...You may or may not take this as positive advice....but......You're quite lucky where you scars are located, with your hair colour, and growth potential. My scars are on my temples so they can't really be covered. Well they could be if I had decent hair. HA!

There's various treatments you could try for sure, as mentioned above by Robertoo.....But, if I was you, I'd literally shave that stubble every day or every second day, with a 3 blade or 5 blade razor. The more you shave the more your beard will grow in thicker, and it will definitely cover those scars. Based on how thick your hair is on your tache, tells me you'll end up with a decent full bodied beard.

I have a mate who has scarring much worse than yours on his lower cheeks and neck - his beard completely covers them after letting it grow for about 5 - 6 days.

If my scars were in the same place as yours, my beard would literally cover all of them, easily.

jibarra47 liked
MemberMember
(@scarredemon)

Posted : 04/21/2016 12:02 am

Scarring- probably mild to moderate.
Orange peel- Huge pores could be a result from genetics, active sebaceous glands or clogged pores that has been stretched permanently. Could you resize the pores to ,make it smaller? Most products could only mask the pores and temporary minimize the appearance. Huge pores that could potentially benefit from chemical peels, regular micro-dermabrasion and retin-A cream. It helps with cellular turn over which could help reshape the pores.

jibarra47 liked
MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 04/22/2016 11:39 am

Thanks everyone, yeah I might try Tca cross/subscision and some chemical peels for the the color/roughness issue. I really don't mind having light scarring though, I think it gives me character :) gotta stay positive! I know things will get better!

MemberMember
(@fazix)

Posted : 04/24/2016 11:32 pm

Your scarring looks very similar to my own so we're in the same boat. Good luck, and I'll be interested to hear how your treatments go. :) 

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 04/26/2016 11:04 am

I'd also rate them as moderate. The scars seem to be concentrated in your beard area, so it makes concealing them so much easier. If my scars were concentrated there and if I could actually grow a full beard, I would rock a stubble or bearded look. Further, if you do treat the scars in that area, concealing the post treatment telltale redness, etc, would be much easier as well. I see a mix of scars, including rolling type scars that may respond to subcision.

jibarra47 liked
MemberMember
(@jibarra47)

Posted : 05/04/2016 9:57 pm

Whats up everyone, I did a Tca peel, so I thought I'd put up some pics to show my progress...obviously the pics above is how I looked before the peel. 

I used a 15% concentration and nuetrilized it after 5 mins. 
This is right after I nuetrilized: 

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is is day 2: 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Day 3:

Day 3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

When do you guys think I'll start peeling? I mean my skin feels dry and leathery and rough...really hope I peel soon :/ 

My cheeks feel tight and parts of my temples; however, I did put solution on my nose and forehead and those parts don't feel like they're gonna peel at all...what do you guys think is up with that? 

MemberMember
(@dan34)

Posted : 05/05/2016 12:46 am

You'll start peeling and two to three days. Apply lots of moisturizer and don't pick at it.