Notifications
Clear all

Feeling Discouraged

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/10/2016 12:21 pm

So, I started on 40mg of Accutane in March. Two weeks ago, I started 60mg. So far, the whole thing has been a nightmare. My lips are so dry and raw, that I wake up multiple times a night to put on chapstick. My lips are inflamed and the redness extends well beyond my lip line, making me look like the Joker.

1.5 months in, I'm still breaking out. At least two inflamed spots a day. Is this stuff going to work, or do I have a right to be discouraged? I feel like these breakouts should be stopping by now.

I feel so ugly and gross, I have a hard time getting motivated to leave the house. I really need some encouragement, I'm feeling very down.

MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 04/10/2016 1:54 pm

Acne may increase in severity for the first 4-6 weeks of therapy with isotretinoin (Accutane, Claravis etc.), after which time there is usually relatively rapid improvement. And, yes- isotretinoin causes lip chapping and skin dryness in almost 100% of patients (so you are hardly alone in this ordeal). I usually recommend wetting lips with tepid water then cover it with plain Vaseline from the tube (tubes are more hygienic) to seal the moisture whenever possible (since it is quite greasy). If Vaseline is not cosmetically acceptable to the patient, then I recommend Aquaphor, Cetaphil or Vanicream. I shy away from flavored lip balms and chapsticks as they sometimes can cause allergic reactions or worse irritation (maybe that's the case with you). Also, sometimes I prescribe mupirocin ointment to lips and into nostrils if lips develop sign of infection (yellowish crusting).

Hope this helps, and thank you again for sharing with us your experience and keep us posted! We will all learn a lot from it. Best!

Vise

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/12/2016 9:41 am

tane is a BIOTCH!
Im 10 mnths post tane and i remember at the end of my 6mnth tane course, I couldnt wait to get off that hellish drug!
TRY to get Dr dans cortibalm..its a LIFESAVER
Print the slip off the website and bring to your pharmacy for them to order for you..My local shoprite pharmacy did this no problem
My derm suggested only using 2x a day but it made a huge difference!
GL
Kim

MemberMember
(@soundschedule)

Posted : 04/14/2016 3:20 pm

Keep on going SendMeAngels!

I just finished my Accutane regimen, and I have seen great results!

I was discouraged in the beginning, but over time my side effects became more manageable.

I am loving life now so much more than ever!

Stay strong! It with get so much better and you will gain a sense of self-appreation that exceeds all exceptions. Never feel like you cannot leave your house! Remember that you offer others so much, more than you can sometimes recognize.

If you ever need anyone to talk to you can always message me! Best of wishes!

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/16/2016 4:24 pm

Thanks all for your responses. I'm still feeling pretty lousy, pretty sad and self-conscious. I have a red ring around my lips, nothing is making them better. I've tried everything I can possibly think of. I'm still getting new spots daily as well. They've been smaller this week than they had been the previous weeks, but they are still red. And these new spots along with the old red marks and red lips make my skin look just awful. I'm really worried that this Accutane isn't going to work. I've been on it for a month and a half, shouldn't the acne be stopping by now? Is it really normal to keep breaking out at this point in the treatment?

MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 04/18/2016 1:57 pm

Yes, some people keep breaking out a little bit longer,some even up to the last month of the treatment,but on the end in70-80% of users acne completely clear.
Best!