Picked at a cyst an...

Notifications
Clear all

Picked at a cyst and now it won't go away

MemberMember
(@amanda5736)

Posted : 03/29/2016 2:41 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site. I honestly wasn't sure where else to turn. Sorry in advance for the long post...

So for the last year I've had issues with my nose. I would get little bubbles/whiteheads that wouldn't pop unless I squeezed deep and really hard, which would result in the skin ripping open and taking forever to heal. It was also very common for it to spread to other areas nearby. I was told by my doctor it was impetigo. Usually, taking double strength bactrim would work really well for it. However, about a month and a half ago, I picked at a spot on the left side of my nose. It swelled so much that the bottom of my eye was swollen for a few days. No matter how much bactrim I took, the swelling barely went down. I'm really bad with picking so I continued to pick to try to get all the stuff out since it wasn't healing. Now I have a really swollen bump that hurts unless I squeeze the blood out. There is a sort of "ring" around the edge where it looks gouged out and the middle part is hard and swollen. I've gotten it injected with cortisone twice now and I'm currently on a doxycycline. I've tried every home remedy out I can think of (tea tree oil, clay mask, vaseline or aquaphor and bandaid, vinegar mixed with water, apple cider vinegar, etc.)

Dealing with this for the past like two months has really taken a toll on me emotionally and it's caused me so much stress and sadness. I really don't know what to do.

MemberMember
(@jenguard82)

Posted : 03/29/2016 3:16 pm

I wouldstop picking it. You are only making it worse and it will never heal if you keep picking. Leave it alone and make an appointment to see a different dermatologist but definitely stop picking it. In time it should just heal on it's own. Good luck! I have a zit on my left cheek that was injected because I picked it and it got infected. It's still a little raised and very red. I should have left it alone. It was so tiny to begin with but like you, I am a picker. Now I am dealing with the consequences.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 03/29/2016 9:19 pm

Maybe it is time to have it excised or incised and cultured to see what bacteria is there, and/or see another dermatologist. But avoid picking, or squeezing pimples. This is a classic advice that you can find everywhere. If you pick and squeeze pimples in an uncontrolled, impulsive fashion with your fingernails you are setting yourself up for worse acne. Ideally you should not do it at all, but if you really have to, and the pimple is really making you unhappy, then wash your skin, wash your hands, sterilize a sewing needle over a fire, wipe off any char from the needle with rubbing alcohol, and gently go with the tip of the needle through the tip of the pimple (tip-to-tip method). Try not to nick normal skin and cause excessive bleeding. Gently press the skin with your knuckles about 1/4 of an inch away from the pimple in attempt to empty it, then leave it alone. Finally, wipe the area with rubbing alcohol. However, always make sure not to squeeze any pimple within the so-called "danger triangle of the face", which is an area from the corners of themouthup to the bridge of thenose, including entire nose and areas inside of it. If you squeeze a pimple in this area, you may push pus into brain circulation, which may cause life-threatening brain infections.

I wish you all the best and let's keep fighting acne together!

MemberMember
(@tanebabe)

Posted : 03/30/2016 10:38 am

I agree with Viselav, getting the spot drained will most likely take care of it! I watch Dr. Pimple Popper (amazing dermatologist on YouTube, Instagram, etc.) dothat all of the time for things like this. Don't let it stress you, it is NOT permanent but maybe just resistant to antibiotics. I&D will take care of it! Maybe go see a second derm and give them your entire story. Sorry you have been going through this, but your journey with this is probably going to end soon!!

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 03/30/2016 12:32 pm

I don't agree

15 hours ago, Viseslav Tonkovic-Capin said:

Maybe it is time to have it excised or incised and cultured to see what bacteria is there, and/or see another dermatologist. But avoid picking, or squeezing pimples. This is a classic advice that you can find everywhere. If you pick and squeeze pimples in an uncontrolled, impulsive fashion with your fingernails you are setting yourself up for worse acne. Ideally you should not do it at all, but if you really have to, and the pimple is really making you unhappy, then wash your skin, wash your hands, sterilize a sewing needle over a fire, wipe off any char from the needle with rubbing alcohol, and gently go with the tip of the needle through the tip of the pimple (tip-to-tip method). Try not to nick normal skin and cause excessive bleeding. Gently press the skin with your knuckles about 1/4 of an inch away from the pimple in attempt to empty it, then leave it alone. Finally, wipe the area with rubbing alcohol. However, always make sure not to squeeze any pimple within the so-called "danger triangle of the face", which is an area from the corners of themouthup to the bridge of thenose, including entire nose and areas inside of it. If you squeeze a pimple in this area, you may push pus into brain circulation, which may cause life-threatening brain infections.

I wish you all the best and let's keep fighting acne together!

I don't agree, always inserted a needle deep inside to eject the pus, sometimes slicing big cystic pimples with a razor, never leaves a mark.

MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 03/30/2016 9:23 pm

My previous post describes what you can do at home, but please, please leave slicing a pimple with a razor and deep incision as suggested by kasyani to a dermatologist. I wish you all the best! Vise

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/31/2016 2:33 pm

17 hours ago, Viseslav Tonkovic-Capin said:

My previous post describes what you can do at home, but please, please leave slicing a pimple with a razor and deep incision as suggested by kasyani to a dermatologist. I wish you all the best! Vise

I agree! Leave deep incisions to the medical professionals to prevent serious infection or permanent scarring!!

MemberMember
(@lilbert-2)

Posted : 06/02/2016 2:49 am

It won't ever heal if you don't stop messing with it. My best advice is put some coconut oil on it and maybe a piece of breathable gauze (no bandaid) and let it be. Coconut oil will bring the sweeping and redness down and is an natural gental antibacterial