Notifications
Clear all

How long should an isotretinoin course be?

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 02/23/2016 8:59 pm

Hi guys.

I'm starting accutane in a few days for my acne which mostly non-inflammatory but according to my doctor "moderate to severe", i'd say only moderate most of the time though.
Any way he's put me on the drug for three months which compared to other people stories on here I found quite short. So I asked him and he looked at me as if I was speaking another language and said i'd only need three months.
Which is fine, if it works in that space of time, but wouldn't that make my daily dosage huge to get my cumulative dosage?!?
Any advice appreciated!

MemberMember
(@justmom)

Posted : 02/26/2016 6:04 pm

Before you fill your prescription, look over on the thread called "repairing the long term damage from accutane.". I guess it's a small % of people that are damaged by it, but the damage can be severe. Google "sexual dysfunction and accutane".

cnb30 liked
MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 02/26/2016 8:15 pm

On 24/02/2016 at 1:59 AM, AppleySauce said:

compared to other people stories on here I found quite short.

Hmm yeah I'd agree with you, it usually seems to be between 5 and 7 months right?
I guess if you are not clear at the end of three months then your course can always be extended?
If you are really petite then I guess it would make sense that you could get to your appropriate cumulative dose in a short time.

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 02/28/2016 12:58 am

Thanks for you second opinion. :D
i think I might mention cumulative dosage to my doc next time and see what he says.
I am petite so three months might be enough hopefully!

MemberMember
(@bobby-digital-2)

Posted : 02/28/2016 11:47 pm

Don't take it dude not worth it. I'm one of the people who took it and it completey ****** me up. I know what your thinking "it wouldnt happen to me" and trust me I was the same way. But slowly after stopping accutane Ive developed chronic fatigue, brain fog, sexual dysfunction and food intolerances. It's been 7 years since I took it and I'm still working on repairing my self. Looking back why the hell would take a chemo drug to cure acne. Roche the company who created accutane doesn't even know how it works. There's alot of different things to try like diet (cutting out dairy and gluten) and zinc for example. At least give those a try before considering accutane.

cnb30 liked
MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 02/29/2016 9:14 am

3 months is pretty short. I wouldn't sweat it or dwell on cumulative dose. Just follow your doctors orders and see what happens. Accutane isn't exactly fun. The dry lips are a son of a bitch