Notifications
Clear all

When does accutane depression start?

MemberMember
(@joelsmama126)

Posted : 02/23/2016 4:40 pm

I put off accutane for the past decade because I already have depression and anxiety. But my skin is getting permanently scarred, so I finally made the decision to start.

my dermatologist didn't have a lot of answers. I'm on 30mg

when did the depression/mood swing side effects kick in if you had them?

trying to prepare myself

MemberMember
(@femaleonaccutane)

Posted : 02/24/2016 5:29 am

For me i felt around third day and just kept getting worse....

MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 02/24/2016 1:46 pm

20 hours ago, Joelsmama126 said:
I put off accutane for the past decade because I already have depression and anxiety. But my skin is getting permanently scarred, so I finally made the decision to start.

trying to prepare myself

Let me give you an honest answer.Depression is all about how you handle yourself,IMO.
I started to get acne scars from last July,and I was devastated.It really hit me hard.I completely shut down my social life,avoided even my closest friends and relatives.The only time my family saw me was during the meals.I locked myself in my room all day(I finished 12th grade and was waiting for college acceptance letter).I was suicidal and felt like an useless burden to my family.But however,I was determined to go any lengths to get rid of acne.After several years on different antibiotics,I finally got accutane on 18th of Feb this year.And this was enough to cheer me up.I know things are going to get better with time.I'm on 50 mg a day from the 18th and I am happier than ever.Going out,listening to music,studying,and even venturing sports which I avoided(I believed sweating can cause acne).
My advice is do what you like to do.Spend time with people who makes you feel good,not someone who reminds you about your insecurities.Try to Enjoy your accutane days to the fullest bearing in your mind that the future holds much sweeter things.And if things get rough,there are psychiatrists,and not all of them makes you feel uncomfortable(I have several experiences during my rough time).Good luck!
NB.-I know a couple of my friends who had depression(one had ADD along with depression) who took accutane.They were quite fine.Nothing bad happened to them,and now they are at college and living life to the fullest.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 02/24/2016 6:17 pm

On February 23, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Joelsmama126 said:

trying to prepare myself

I only had a little bit of depression on accutane - mostly during the initial breakout. After that it was pretty smooth sailing, because even though I still had cysts, I knew I was on a strong medicine that would eventually get me clear skin. I'd have to say I was probably a lot more depressed before accutane than I was while on it.

Naimur97 liked
MemberMember
(@naimur97)

Posted : 02/25/2016 2:19 am

8 hours ago, wombat666 said:
I only had a little bit of depression on accutane - mostly during the initial breakout. After that it was pretty smooth sailing, because even though I still had cysts, I knew I was on a strong medicine that would eventually get me clear skin. I'd have to say I was probably a lot more depressed before accutane than I was while on it.

Joelsmama126,see that's what I was talking about.

wombat666 liked
MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 02/29/2016 11:05 am

I disagree with naimur97. Depression is not necessarily caused by life events or how well you handle them. There are definitely biological and chemical factors at a play.
You may not have any psychological side effects at all. The evidence suggesting a link between accutane and depression is inconclusive. So don't go into the experience expecting the worst. I have previously had clinical depression and the only effects I got from accutane was dry lips and acne free skin.

just be vigilant and hope for the best

Dubya_B liked
MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 03/02/2016 10:09 pm

I have major depressive disorder that started way before I started Accutane. If anything, Accutane helped alleviate my depression, because the stress from my persistent acne disappeared when Accutane started to work. And I do have to say that the correlation between Accutane and depression and/or suicide isn't strong. Some newer studies have found that there may not be a relationship between the medication and depression at all. That being said, I would simply go on with your day and in the unlikely event that you DO feel depressed, definitely let someone know.