Notifications
Clear all

Taken of Accutane. Now what?

MemberMember
(@uglydawg15)

Posted : 02/22/2016 10:50 pm

Hi I'm 15 male and was put on accutane for 5 months. My dosage was 40mg a day and well accutane worked really really well. The only problem is that when I went into my dermatologist appointment today (so he can prescribe more accutane pills) I told my derm about my side effects (I've been on accutane for only 3 months) and I started to get some side effects mostly headaches, constant ringing in my ears, and slightly blurred vision (but that could be because my eyes are so dry). Basically he walked outta the room and when he came back in he literally said "well you just talked me outta giving you the one drug that can help you" I mean if your going to take someone off the ONE drug that can help them......be nice about it. Well I (had) really really bad acne ALL over my shoulders, chest, and before accutane it was working its way down my arms. Accutane stopped it and all my cysts vanished or turned into scars (which I have a lot of) and the drug works amazing, but because of the side effects and when I turn 21 I can sue, him took me off of it. My question is will my acne come back. Im pretty sure it will even tho I currently dont have any active cysts. Also do males out grow cystic acne? seeing there are no other options my only hope is that I will out grow it before I'm completely destroyed and permanently deformed by scars.

MemberMember
(@olenaloves)

Posted : 02/23/2016 6:17 pm

Accutane is a really extreme measure to treat acne. Do you do anything else for your skin and your general health? How is your diet?

MemberMember
(@uglydawg15)

Posted : 02/24/2016 2:25 pm

20 hours ago, olenaloves said:

Accutane is a really extreme measure to treat acne. Do you do anything else for your skin and your general health? How is your diet?

Ive tired EVERYTHING!!! change of diet and all that. Nothing worked except accutane! I had VERY bad acne all over my back shoulders chest and it was spreading down my arms before I started accutane. Will I grow out of this? Both my parents have acne and I was the first born sooooo. But still could I grow out of it? Accutane is really the only thing that has EVER worked for me!!!

MemberMember
(@olenaloves)

Posted : 03/06/2016 3:44 pm

If Accutane worked than what is there to grow out of?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/06/2016 4:49 pm

No one can predict if your acne will come back but since you did not finish the course, there is a higher chance of relapse. I have never grown out of my acne but you may. Don't be upset with your derm. Those side effects are very rare so that fact that they are happening should be a red flag. Worse case scenario, you give it a few months and then restart.

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 03/06/2016 5:16 pm

If you are actually acne free for the moment, then do try to take a breath and enjoy it!!
People can definitely grow out of cystic acne. Your best clue is probably the other members of your family, so how it progressed for your parents is more likely to be how it will go for you... but not guaranteed! There are really no guarantees actually, you've just got to try and take it as it comes. (I sound really philosophical and I hate it when people talk to me like this, so I apologise if this is making you crazy!)
As said above, if you need to go back on accutane when you're older you probably will be able to.