Notifications
Clear all

Deep scar after big cyst - will it heal?

MemberMember
(@rosesarepretty)

Posted : 02/07/2016 12:22 pm

Hi. I'm a 15 year old girl, that literally has made her biggest mistake. It all started with a little pimple, that I simply decided to pop. This little pimple did get infected, and it turned into a bigger pimple, that I popped too. It didn't really heal, or well, it did, but I was left with a hard lump on my forhead. I let it be, hoping that it would dissappear in a week or two. Three weeks later, it was still there. I did really annoy me, and I had just started my christmas break, so I thought that it should get popped. No people except my family would see me anyway...

I tried to squeeze everything out, but it was hard! At first, nothing came out. The lump was still there! I tried to squeeze deeper, and something came out but it was not all of it. Finally, I won the battle. I squeezed until some blood appeared. It was really red and swollen.

Ashamed, I walked in to the kitchen and told my mother what I've done. She did get quite angry, because I earlier promised her that I won't pick anything (she always tells me to stop, because I am ruining my skin. And I am aware of that, but I can't stop!!)
She told me to put some apple cider vinegar on it to make it less swollen. The thing is that she meant apple cider vinegar mixed with water (which she uses to keep nasty acne away from her flawless skin). I didn't listen to her, and took pure apple cider vinegar (I thought - the stronger, the better!)  on a cotton pad and pressed it into the swollen lump. I held it for about an hour, without any awareness of what the heck I was doing. When I took it off, IT WAS BROWN!! The apple cider vinegar did... Corrode??.. on my skin. It wasn't less swollen either, and I was left with a big, brownish-red swollen mark in the middle of my forehead. Three days later, it had turned into a big scab, infected but not swollen.

I let it be for about two  days, but then the scab started to come off around the edges. It was reeeally irritating, so I ripped it off. And pressed out the pus (!!) It started to bleed again, and I promised myself to never pick ANYTHING again when I saw myself in the mirror. It did again, turn in to a new scab. I accidentally ripped it off some days later while I was washing my face. The result? A BIG deep scar, in the middle of my face. Nice.

Two months later, the scar is still there. Not as deep and not as big, but still visible and clearly noticeable. Mum says that it has healed a bit, and it will eventually disappear, but it will take some time. Months, or even years.

So, do y'all think that it will disappear? Or am I left with it for ever? It is a bit deep...

(Thank you for reading this long horror text)

scar.thumb.jpg.2693b42fbcb8f654f3a627dd2

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 02/07/2016 10:39 pm

I think it will continue to improve. It would help to see a dermatologist and get a prescription for topical retinoids (ex. retin-a micro, tazorac). Apply the retinoids to the scar to help promote collagen and normal skin healing and also apply on any future acne. Just put the retinoids on and let it work its magic and no picking. It will exfoliate future pimples off. Once acne is under control if there is still a slight depression on your forehead then you might consider microneedling (dermastamping) the area to blend the texture of the skin and light TCA peels.

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 02/08/2016 9:42 am

It takes a year for a scar to completely heal so give it some time. If it's still there after a year, then you're stuck with it unless you find a miracle product or procedure to get rid of it. And if you do, please let us know!

MemberMember
(@rosesarepretty)

Posted : 06/13/2016 2:19 pm

Okay, it's been 5 months since i wrote this post, and believe me or not, the scar is still there. Not that big, and not something you'll notice from a distance like before but still it's still noticeable. And it's healing, but sosososo slow that it almost looks like there isn't a difference... But as far as i can see, it's a bit better.

MemberMember
(@ommmmmm)

Posted : 06/13/2016 6:37 pm

Thanks for the update. :) Glad to hear it's slightly better even if only improving slowly. Have you attempted any retinoids (retin-a, tazorac, etc.), dermastamping or light 10-15% TCA peels? As long as you don't do anything drastic (like a very deep TCA peel) that could make it worse these interventions might give you additional improvement over time. Good luck!