Notifications
Clear all

Severe Acne Resolved: Antiperspirant/Deodorant Allergy

MemberMember
(@278126_1443948128)

Posted : 01/22/2016 2:27 pm

I spent years lurking here while I had severe acne from the ages of 12 through 28 and am so thankful for this community! It gave me hope when I felt the worst about myself and my face was in so much pain.

In the fall of 2014, I tried something new: I stopped using antiperspirant/deodorant (I used to use Dove). This is not a new idea on acne.org and I want to add to the chorus and encourage others to try it. My acne cleared up in a couple of days and has been 100% acne free for over 2 years. I briefly tried Tom's of Maine to see if it was only the antiperspirant, but I found my skin reacted a bit so I stopped it altogether instead of risking it getting worse.

My acne was primarily along my jaw line and cheeks, although during more stressful times (like 2012) in my life it was on my forehead, as well. It was always painful and red.
2012.JPG.5d1dba2f6137787f77edc77ae62f97d2012a.JPG.e8982e9c7b2bcd0759d8998922b173

The improvements started when trying a pillow that forced me to sleep on my back. My acne improved slightly on my cheeks, so I started thinking about what was rubbing on my jawline. I thought about my sheets in contact with my face for 8 hours a day while sleeping and that if I ever put my arms out of the bed and tucked the sheets between my body and arms, the antiperspirant/deodorant was getting on the sheets and directly on my face. I think I was experiencing irritation from the antiperspirant/deodorant that I was using directly on my face and affecting my hormones by application on my underarms.

Now I just wash once a day with a gentle cleanser and apply Paula's Choice 1% salicylic acid, moisturizer, and sunscreen. I settled ion this routine long after my skin cleared up.

It took me a few weeks to get all of my sheets and clothes free of any antiperspirant/deodorant residue. If you stop using antiperspirant/deodorant and find it doesn't improve immediately, give it a little bit of time until after laundry day. You can also try showering before you go to bed every night, but I'm convinced that you don't want the antiperspirant/deodorant applied on your body or on your face.

If you are suffering as badly as I did, you having nothing to lose. It costs nothing, you just have to learn to deal with your body odor. If it doesn't work for you, maybe there is another allergen than is affecting you.

Thanks for your time and good luck! I know it's really tough emotionally, financially, and time-wise. You'll make it through.
2015.JPG.39bb901e897e827fc99f5e6dabcb1c8

I tried these brands (not exhaustive):
Acne.org regimen
Face Reality
Face Naturals
Paula's Choice
Renee Rouleau
Proactiv

I tried these oral/topical medications (not exhaustive):
Docycycline
Epiduo
Benzoyl Peroxide