Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hbxgirl

Tretinoin On Closed Comedones. Should I keep using it?

Hello. I am currently using Obagi tretinoin cream 0.1%. I have been using for a week now and this is how things are going so far
Before trying out this product, I have managed to clear 70% of my severe closed comedones. I only have a few left on my cheeks and jawlines. I decided to try out this cream because I heard it's very good to clear closed comedones and it peels your skin to get rid of acne scars and hyperpigmentation. However, I have noticed it irritated my skin over night and I woke up with about 5-10 little whiteheads on my cheek. I also have 2-3 inflamed pimple on random parts of my face. I wonder if the cream did this because I haven't broken out these past few weeks. Please let me know if I should keep using it or not. I used salicylic acid products before and it worked really well but didn't get rid of my closed comedones. I still don't really trust this Retin-A cream. It peeled my skin for the first 2 days and then it stopped and broke me out. Please help me. Thank you so much.

Edited by hbxgirl

I've noticed that Retin-A does improve the overall texture of the skin with long-term use, but as for stopping acne I don't really find it that effective. It's more of a mitigator. I think you need to try it a bit longer to really assess if it's working for you. 

I'm also on Retin-A for closed comedones, and it is completely normal for you to see an initial increase in the number of blackheads/whiteheads/pimples/comedones. Retain-A brings everything blocking your pores to the surface, which is why your skin might look bad for a couple of weeks while everything is clearing out. Give it time though! It takes time to see the full results :)