Notifications
Clear all

Birth control and aldactone

MemberMember
(@grace-embraced)

Posted : 12/27/2015 6:11 pm

I am hoping to receive some feedback from anyone who is currently receiving or has received treatment for acne by using birth control and aldactone.

My daughter who is almost 18 has been battling acne since 8th grade. She tried antibiotics, topicals, natural treatments (that did help for awhile), and diet changes. She continued to break out mainly on her forehead (large pustules) and cheeks (some cysts and pustules). She also had acne on her back and chest.

In mid-September, her doctor prescribed birth control (Ortho tri cyclen) not just because of acne, But also for her heavy periods and PMS symptoms.She had an initial breakout that lasted about 6 weeks. She saw some clearing on her back and chest, forehead cleared up nicely, but her cheeks were still breaking out.

She just went in for her 3 month checkup and her doctor added 100mg/day of aldactone.

I am praying this works for her! She also has been using Retin A 3 times per week for about 1 month.

Have any of you had success or failure with this treatment? I'd love to hear your feedback!

MemberMember
(@allie23)

Posted : 12/28/2015 11:40 pm

Hello!

I'm currently taking Sprintec (bc pill) and Aldactone. I started taking Sprintec almost 2 years ago, and I also noticed this really helped with chest/back acne, but not so much my face. Then 4 months ago I started taking Aldactone. I take 25 mg twice a day, so a pretty low dose, and it has worked amazingly. It does take a couple of months before you see a real change, but then the amount of acne I had decreased dramatically. I would always have cystic acne around my mouth/chin and now I don't get cystic acne anymore. If anything, I'll get 1 or 2 small pimples that go away quickly. I would highly recommend trying this, just make sure to stick with it for at least 3 months to see the full effects! Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

MemberMember
(@grace-embraced)

Posted : 02/02/2016 10:51 pm

Dear Allie23,

Tha you for taking the time to write about your experience with this treatment.
My daughter is seeing some improvement after 1 1/2 months of aldactone being added to her BC pill. She is still breaking out, just not as much. Right now she has about 5 large ones along her cheeks and two healing on the chin. Two weeks before she was basically clear! So odd.
Did you experience breakouts during the first few months as well?
Patience is not my virtue!
Are you still seeing good results on this regimen?

MemberMember
(@boston50)

Posted : 02/06/2016 10:13 pm

It's nice to see a mom on here. My daughter's magic bullet was ocella and 50 mgs spironolactone. If she goes off of it she breaks out. If she stays on it she's clear. She goes off it a lot sigh. I wish we could find something else that works. Accutane did not work.