Notifications
Clear all

Seeing immediate accutane results?

MemberMember
(@alexandra95)

Posted : 12/15/2015 6:04 am

This is my first full course on accutane. I'm on a 10mg introduction dose for this month then I will continue with only 20mg for the next 7 months.

I started because my typical moderate acne had persiste through bp, aha lotion, all the 'natural' remedies, and antibiotics. The antibiotics never 'cured' my acne but they kept it at bay for the last 2 years (which is way to long in my opinion to be on antibiotics)... until a few month ago when they became worthless. All of a sudden I had cystic acne on my jaw line which I had never had before so I was over it.

ANYWAY. I've only been on accutane for a little over 2 weeks and my skin is already clearing up quite a lot with no adverse side effects. The cystic acne is still present but has shrunken almost 50% and new breakouts have stopped. I'm wondering if I am just lucky or if my skin is still getting ready to have a massive break out? Any experiences? 

I wish I had a before picture, but oh well.

This is a picture of my face right now, and seriously I am talking like a 50% reduction in overall acne in the last two weeks. All of those dark spots were massive painful its just days ago. My skin hasn't looked like this is months.wp_20151215_11_59_11_pro.thumb.jpg.c7161 

May2016 liked
MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 12/15/2015 2:52 pm

Looks amazing, just took my first 20mg pill and am praying for results like yours! IMO no reason why you should experience a massive breakout - some people don't during the accutane process.

The "initial breakout" is a common misconception on this site. It is true that the skin might purge a little or react in a sensitive way, leading to an IB, but it's not as likely to happen as is made out on here. This concept of your skin "flushing out all the toxins that lie under the skin" isn't 100% scientifically accurate. Many people who go on accutane have severe severe acne, so their "IB" is probably just one of their regular breakouts.

Are you taking anything for your hair? I'm petrified of hair loss on accutane - would much rather have my acne than v thin hair. I'm taking Biotin - swear to god, my life will be over if I lose my hair 🙁

MemberMember
(@leftridingcropinmortuary)

Posted : 12/16/2015 1:58 pm

My skin dried up and spots disappeared almost immediately! And I never had a breakout.

I'm nearly finished my course though, hope not to break out when i finish.

Quite strange, having no spots to squeeze! I have to watch popping videos on youtube instead.

MemberMember
(@alexandra95)

Posted : 12/17/2015 7:24 am

On 12/15/2015, 829, chicanery said:

Looks amazing, just took my first 20mg pill and am praying for results like yours! IMO no reason why you should experience a massive breakout - some people don't during the accutane process.

The "initial breakout" is a common misconception on this site. It is true that the skin might purge a little or react in a sensitive way, leading to an IB, but it's not as likely to happen as is made out on here. This concept of your skin "flushing out all the toxins that lie under the skin" isn't 100% scientifically accurate. Many people who go on accutane have severe severe acne, so their "IB" is probably just one of their regular breakouts. 

Are you taking anything for your hair? I'm petrified of hair loss on accutane - would much rather have my acne than v thin hair. I'm taking Biotin - swear to god, my life will be over if I lose my hair 🙁

Right now I'm just taking a normal multivitamin, but I have very thick hair and honestly wouldn't mind losing some!

But I have a friend who also took Biotin and and some other random hair+nails vitamins and they never had a problem :)

17 hours ago, LeftRidingCropInMortuary said:

My skin dried up and spots disappeared almost immediately! And I never had a breakout. 

I'm nearly finished my course though, hope not to break out when i finish. 

Quite strange, having no spots to squeeze!  I have to watch popping videos on youtube instead. 

Haha I have seen a few of those very fancy extraction vids on youtube, very satisfying/scary 

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 12/17/2015 3:36 pm

8 hours ago, alexandra95 said:

Right now I'm just taking a normal multivitamin, but I have very thick hair and honestly wouldn't mind losing some!

Nearly all normal multivitamins contain Vitamin A which you can't take on Accutane, as accutane is essentially a large dose of vitamin A (too much strain on liver). Just to let you know! 🙂 That's why many people on accutanehave to take several vitamins (B-complex, iron, vitamin C etc.) as unfortunately multivitamins nearly always contain vitamin A

MemberMember
(@alexandra95)

Posted : 12/19/2015 9:35 am

On 12/17/2015, 908, chicanery said:

Nearly all normal multivitamins contain Vitamin A which you can't take on Accutane, as accutane is essentially a large dose of vitamin A (too much strain on liver). Just to let you know! 🙂 That's why many people on accutanehave to take several vitamins (B-complex, iron, vitamin C etc.) as unfortunately multivitamins nearly always contain vitamin A

Oh course I completelyforgot that! I have a B-complex I take too since I'm a veggie. I'll definitely cut back on the extra vitamin A, thanks for reminding me 🙂