Notifications
Clear all

Knowledge is Power

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 12/05/2015 4:53 pm

Hey guys and gals,

I notice so many supplements and vitamins being thrown around here and there to help with acne, and I always want to learn more. Problem is, there are so many websites out there that just want to sell you these things without providing clinical evidence or side effects.

I don't remember how I found it, but examine.comis a great free resource that I want to share with this community because I think knowledge is power. According to their own description:

"Examine.com is an independent encyclopedia on supplementation and nutrition.We are not affiliated in any way with any supplement company,and we have a team of health professionals analyzing the full body of research."

Just to be clear and hopefully not get in trouble with the moderators here, this has been a really great resource for me and this isn't some paid endorsement. I just think the idea is pretty awesome and allows the public to have information previously hidden behind pay walls for scientific studies.

I was wondering if anyone else has found good resources for this kind of thing and wants to share?

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 12/18/2015 2:36 am

I agree about knowledge is power! Some people just read posts like "vitamin D cured my acne" and such and go out and by 20 different supplements expecting them to work! :(

Acne is multi-factorial so one must consider this before buying products that will have a specific effect on their skin.

Luna878 liked
MemberMember
(@quinnmorgendorffer)

Posted : 01/19/2016 12:39 pm

i agree. i've definitely been there.. anxiously browsing the forums grasping for supplements without actually knowing how they are interacting with my body/endocrine system. i wish the people making posts claiming a supplement has solved their acne would give us a more informed breakdown of how and why. everyone needs to research the root cause of their acne as opposed to hastily bandaiding the symptoms!

Luna878 liked
MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 01/19/2016 1:14 pm

I got my university account on Pubmed, too many biology/chemistry/anatomy textbooks, and 3 years worth of notes!

Have a massive amount of scholarly journals and scientific studies scattered throughout my SSD/HDD.

You can get lucky every now and then by lurking through popular unviersity websites' and occasionally end up in there online lecture database for classes. I've even downloaded a few virtual textbooks that weren't too advance for me.

I should scan them in on a computer and put them up for download on my Dropbox or something if anyone would actually be interested in the little scribbles.

Luna878 liked
MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 01/26/2016 5:16 pm

@BaxterMcDoobinson I would definitely check that out if you made a dropbox file of it. Pubmed is AWESOME. Lots of great info still available without a pay wall :)

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 01/26/2016 5:19 pm

I had access to pubmed through the Open University a few years ago and it was great to read complete articles rather than just abstracts!

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 01/26/2016 5:23 pm

@ben100604Most articles I've found (at least related to acne) on Pubmed allow you the "Link Out" feature which brings you to open access versions of the entire article

Ben100604 liked
MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 01/26/2016 5:24 pm

Just now, Luna878 said:
@ben100604Most articles I've found (at least related to acne) on Pubmed allow you the "Link Out" feature which brings you to open access versions of the entire article

Cool, I'll have to give that a go! Thanks!