Notifications
Clear all

Does accutane help with hyperpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@miretons)

Posted : 10/17/2015 8:48 am

About a year I go I had a really bad breakout and I have a ton of red marks on my face that just won't go away. People and my doc have told me that I should take accutane but I heard is a very severe medication.

I've tried all sorts of antibiotics and retinoid creams but none of them really worked.

I'm considering going on accutane, but I don't want it to end up not doing anything to the red marks.

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 10/23/2015 12:19 pm

Not really. Accutane can prevent dark marks in the long run and scarring because it treats cystic acne. In my experience, it helped moderately for pigmentation, but did not TREAT it. It helped with the redness/unevenness associated with the acne and whiteheads themselves, not healed marks.

It's "severe" in that it cannot be taken by pregnant women, has joint paint, fatigue andI'd ask a derm. You can try topical treatments (peels--which will worsen red marks before generating new skin), kojic acid, vitamin C, azeliac acid (again, can make things redder before they heal) and over the counter treatments. Accutane is for acne, not hyperpigmentation. I will probably try aquaphor or biafine for my own red marks. If you're out in the sun alot you shoulder consider wearing a decent sunscreen (personally going to try Oil of Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin SPF 30 because it doesn't have silica).
The one antibiotic that helped me was doxycycline but you say it didn't help with that.

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 10/24/2015 10:42 pm

The hyperpigmentation is a myth. It's scarring. The skin is damaged. I hate what acne did to my face the way I hate what accutane did to my hair. I can cut my hair. I can shave it. Accutane works. It rid me of acne but it cost me a price financially and so much more. Be warned, the fallout could be terrible. I took 80mg which seems nuts.

MemberMember
(@mjessicawy)

Posted : 10/25/2015 3:48 am

Hi,
When I took accutane I found it really helped with my hyperpigementation and bizarrely also my pitted scarring. I'm sure you know how accutane works but to remind you, it just basically causes your skin to exfoliate itself. As a result you lose those layers of skin where you have hyper pigmentation. If you are break out free at the moment I would suggest maybe an acid peel of some sort (such as liquid gold by alpha-h). They also help with hyper pigmentation and are a lot less serious than accutane.

MemberMember
(@fade95)

Posted : 10/25/2015 5:33 am

I treat my hyper pigmentation with glycolic acids and it gives you quickresults