Notifications
Clear all

A question for those intolerant of citrus fruits...

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 10/15/2015 5:20 pm

I was wondering approximately how long after consuming citrus fruits your skin reacts (like, a few hours? a few days?). Also, is it all citrus fruits or just very acidic ones like grapefruit?

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 10/16/2015 1:19 am

Well, for me, if I eat grapes I'll get small pimples the same day. The more I eat, the worse (and potentially bigger) they get. I get pimples from apples usually the next day, sometimes 2 days. Sometimes the same day if I eat enough of em. The pimples also very in size and severity depending on how much I eat.

Just depends which fruit. Usually same day for me with every food. The only reason it would show up after 2 days is if I keep eating them everyday and it slowly builds up.

P.S.
Blue berries contain a low citric acid level. I usually don't get acne from them at all, however, if I eat a ton of wheat (which breaks down my intestinal walls), I'll get small zits on my cheek bone area from eating blueberries.

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 10/18/2015 11:07 am

Well, for me, if I eat grapes I'll get small pimples the same day. The more I eat, the worse (and potentially bigger) they get. I get pimples from apples usually the next day, sometimes 2 days. Sometimes the same day if I eat enough of em. The pimples also very in size and severity depending on how much I eat.

Just depends which fruit. Usually same day for me with every food. The only reason it would show up after 2 days is if I keep eating them everyday and it slowly builds up.

P.S.
Blue berries contain a low citric acid level. I usually don't get acne from them at all, however, if I eat a ton of wheat (which breaks down my intestinal walls), I'll get small zits on my cheek bone area from eating blueberries.

Fascinating. And also so, so sad. I'll be honest, as disciplined as I've been with restricting triggers in my diet over the last 5 years, I've pretty much refused to even allow myself to consider that certain fruits may beaggravatingmy skin because I love fruit more than most things in life. I am fairly certain I could live on a fruitarian diet quite happily (if not healthily) for many years.

I have this habit of convincing myself there is a way to compensatefor certain flaws in my lifestyle that in reality, I just don't have the willpower to cut out. Like before I was finally able to curb my smoking,I spent years and probably thousands of dollars and hours on supplements, facial exercises, creams and potions, etc.to mitigate the damage I knew the smoking was doing--just so I could keep up my habit.

I remember you asking about how to find a naturopath a little while ago. Did you take a full allergy panel to understand which foods to avoid or did you just go the elimination route?

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 10/21/2015 12:36 am

Oh no, I thought you had gone to some special kind of clinic I've never heard of. And I was asking so I could recommend that to someone else who I was trying to help.

The only successful food sensitivity test I've had was a skin prick test I did last year. I also had a blood test that was too inaccurate to detect anything. But I couldn't afford a naturopath, so I just figured out myself. (I also mistakenly got those tests for "free")