Notifications
Clear all

Rx Acne Medications Making It Worse

MemberMember
(@clairee2)

Posted : 09/19/2015 3:09 am

I'm 19 years old, and I've been struggling with acne since 7th grade. It's September now and last March I finally got fed up enough with being ashamed of my face's breakouts (including all of acne scars) and went to the dermo. My doctor gave me adapalene .03% (off brand diferin) and climdamycin phosphate 1% pads. After about a 7 weeks of using that with little change, I went back to her and she prescribed aczone along with it. Another 7 weeks went by still with bad break outs. She added the oral antibiotic minocycline 50 mg for me to take for 30 days. No improvement. I went back after another 7 weeks and she upped my dosage to 100 mg minocycline with tretinoin .05%. After I went through the 100 mg minocycline she put me back down to 50. At this point I was on 5 different medications for my acne with not better skin, but actually worse! Acne started appearing on my back (NEVER has besides the rare black head) and I started to get bad cyst like pimples on my forehead. Along my jaw line also began breaking out and the cyst like pimples on my cheeks have become more frequent. I cycle my face washing from an all natural exfoliater every 3 days to a benzoyl peroxide wash every other day to African black soap on the days in between. I have a clean towel too. But I will use drug store makeup to help hide all of these AWFUL breakouts but only when I need to go out! Otherwise I try to keep my face clear and out of the publics sight!

I drink plenty of water, no pop, eat fruits and veggies, and whole grain/whole wheat bread. I refuse to go on a birth control for various environmental and personal reasons but CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY I STILL HAVE SUCH BAD SKIN THAT I DONT WANT TO LEAVE MY APARTMENT PLEASE ITS KILLING ME. :( 🙁 :(

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 09/19/2015 9:54 am

Hi, so sorry for all the issues you've been having. I'm not an expert so can only give my opinion from my own experience. I used alot of antibiotics before going on a treatment of accutane 7 years ago....Each antibiotic worked for a small amount of time but the problem with antibiotics is that the body builds up a resistance to the treatment and after your skin can become worse. I did a 6month course of accutane 7 years ago and even tho my very oily skin came back after a year my acne improved alot and have only had "mild" acne since...and have just been using Panoxyl 10% (Benzoyl Peroxide) to try and control my oily skin and has helped stop it triggering any outbreak. Benzoyl Peroxide is very drying but is not an antibiotic so your body/skin doesnt build up a resistence and it just works by removing dead skin cells and putting oxygen into the pores which can help stop the bacteria growing. It is not a cure but for alot of people it just helps control things...In my case it does a great job of controlling acne but doesnt stop my very oily skin and after 22years of putting creams/gels on my skin I just wanted to give my skin a rest so just started a low dose of Accutane....which helps shrink pores and reduces the amount of oil your body produces...again Accutane is not an antibiotic so your body doesnt build up a resistance but you can get side effects like dry lips, dry skin etc, depending on the size of your dosage.......

From your comments, it seems you change your routine every couple of days...I think this might also be an issue as it might be best to find one routine and stick with it....changing so often might be activating your pores even more and making it more sensitive when you make the change to a different product....again, everyone is different and I'm not an expert, just trying to help by giving another view....

Hope this helps alittle and you find something that works best for you....

As mentioned, Accutane has worked for alot of people so might be worth speaking to a derm/doc to see if its something you could try....

Kind regards

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/19/2015 10:26 am

I'm 19 years old, and I've been struggling with acne since 7th grade. It's September now and last March I finally got fed up enough with being ashamed of my face's breakouts (including all of acne scars) and went to the dermo. My doctor gave me adapalene .03% (off brand diferin) and climdamycin phosphate 1% pads. After about a 7 weeks of using that with little change, I went back to her and she prescribed aczone along with it. Another 7 weeks went by still with bad break outs. She added the oral antibiotic minocycline 50 mg for me to take for 30 days. No improvement. I went back after another 7 weeks and she upped my dosage to 100 mg minocycline with tretinoin .05%. After I went through the 100 mg minocycline she put me back down to 50. At this point I was on 5 different medications for my acne with not better skin, but actually worse! Acne started appearing on my back (NEVER has besides the rare black head) and I started to get bad cyst like pimples on my forehead. Along my jaw line also began breaking out and the cyst like pimples on my cheeks have become more frequent. I cycle my face washing from an all natural exfoliater every 3 days to a benzoyl peroxide wash every other day to African black soap on the days in between. I have a clean towel too. But I will use drug store makeup to help hide all of these AWFUL breakouts but only when I need to go out! Otherwise I try to keep my face clear and out of the publics sight!

I drink plenty of water, no pop, eat fruits and veggies, and whole grain/whole wheat bread. I refuse to go on a birth control for various environmental and personal reasons but CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY I STILL HAVE SUCH BAD SKIN THAT I DONT WANT TO LEAVE MY APARTMENT PLEASE ITS KILLING ME. :( 🙁 :(

You sound like you're definitely doing too much to your skin! Why do derms think more is better?!?. Have you tried hormonal means such as birth control or spiro? What about cutting out grains / dairy and going paleo? As a last resort, accutane can help. Please don't give up.