Notifications
Clear all

Forehead Filled With Closed Comedones

MemberMember
(@faultlessfire)

Posted : 09/15/2015 11:28 am

Hey. I have some issues with what I think are closed comedones on my forehead. The problem is that I don't know how to treat them because my forehead is often very tight and irritated for some reason. Sometimes after I shower I can feel it burn and if I go look in my bathroom mirror I can see red irritated spots. So I'm afraid to put AHA or BHA on my forehead because it's already irritated. I've tried using moisturizer (CeraVe) but it doesn't really make a difference. I'm using Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid on the rest of my face and it works great. Any suggestions?

I used to have severe cystic acne that all went away thanks to Accutane, but I honestly don't remember if it took care of the closed comedones and if they just came back because back then I didn't care as much about my skin.

A visit at the derm costs roughly 100 dollars where I live so I figured I would post this here first.

Replies are appreciated :)

MemberMember
(@jbleez122)

Posted : 09/15/2015 11:52 am

looks a lot like pityrosporum folliculitis. google image that with forehead and you will see. It's actually a fungal infection and not acne vulgaris. Your derm will most likely prescribe some sort of anuitfungal meds. If you don't wanna go to the derm go to your drugs store and buy nizoral shampoo over the counter and apply some to the affected area. If you start to see results in a couple days its a good bet that PF is what you have. I have the exact same thing and thanks to nizoral its clearing up. Google pityrosporum folliculitis forehead and see for yourself. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@faultlessfire)

Posted : 09/15/2015 12:19 pm

Oh wow, that is eye opening. Maybe that is why my forehead always feels tight and greasy, and why I can see larger red irritated areas when I'm under strong lightning. I will definitely try that shampoo. I heard yeast and fungal infections will develop immunity to treatments though so you have to keep switching products. Thank you for your comment!

MemberMember
(@jbleez122)

Posted : 09/15/2015 12:44 pm

Yes give it a shot. It is true that you will have to eventually switch products but that depends on the severity of the yeast/fungal infection and perstistance. I would just try the nizoral to see if it is fungal for sure and if it responds to the ketoconazole (main nizoral antifungal) then at least you know what you have and can work with a derm. I got a topical called promiseb which is really helping too. Let me know how the nizoral works out though! Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@faultlessfire)

Posted : 09/15/2015 4:58 pm

Alright. Turns out I had a similar product at home already calledFungoral (Swedish brand). It's a dandruff shampoo with 20 milligram ketoconazole per milliliter. I left it on my forehead for about 3 minutes then rinsed. It says I should use it 2-3 times per week. When did you first notice a difference? I'm still not sure it's pityrosporum folliculitis. I will visit the derm soon either way.