Notifications
Clear all

Do Supplements Really Work?

MemberMember
(@opulentwaters)

Posted : 09/15/2015 7:09 am

What are the best supplments people have tried to get rid of their acne??

At the moments i'm taking a multivitamin, additional zinc and vitamin A (15mg) and a probiotic (2 billion live cultures)

I'm also drinking milk thistle tea as a part of a liver detox.

I'm ony starting out so i'm beginning with lower doses, is this a good idea, or too low to be effective???

How much vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Zinc is too much to consume perday???

MemberMember
(@bex240183)

Posted : 09/15/2015 3:03 pm

Hi there :) i had cystic acne for over ten years! I like to think that i tried it all! Holistic and doctor prescribed drugs! I tried balancing my vitamin intake , best i could! All the over counter vitamins in the world didnt help. So, i started doing my research! Over counter vitamins are man made, even those that claim that they are from a derivative, generally arent! They only need to contain 5% of what it claims to be on the label for it to pass the test. Also, they can be chemically accurate but as our body works on an enzyme delivery system, the vitamin pill also need to be the same shape for it to "fit our body" so to speak, it would be like trying to rake up leaves with a ball.so the likely hood of you absorbing anything from that 5% is low! Then theres the whole danger of putting in an "end finished" product, expecting it to have the desired effect, when really its our bodies job to make what it needs! We just need to input the right building blocks. Queue me throwing away all of the families vitamins and doing more research. I have found a whole food supplement , organically grown and gm free. Also, as it is the way nature intended , it works in tune with the body, gIving it the building blocks to make what it should! I have stuck to the diet changes and my skin is great :) i am still at the mercy of my hormones and get one to two cystic spots a month, which go in a few days :) feel free to tap me up for any advice ! Or if you need any help xxx

[removed]

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 09/17/2015 3:59 pm

What are the best supplments people have tried to get rid of their acne??

At the moments i'm taking a multivitamin, additional zinc and vitamin A (15mg) and a probiotic (2 billion live cultures)

I'm also drinking milk thistle tea as a part of a liver detox.

I'm ony starting out so i'm beginning with lower doses, is this a good idea, or too low to be effective???

How much vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Zinc is too much to consume perday???

Vitamin supplements can be useful - the difficulty is working out what your body needs because everyone is different.

I started taking vitamin d a few months ago and it fixed these muscle pains i was getting in my legs. Not related to acne i know, just wanted to make the point that vitamins can be beneficial. Still waiting to see if it helps my skin :)

Obviously in an ideal world we would get everything we need from food - but thats not always easy.

I take a multivitamin also. I dont think a multi is going to cure acne but i just feel it helps supplement any vitamins that might be lacking in my diet. I also take fish oil - omega 3s are meant to help with inflammation. Yes i've heard zinc and vit a are meant to be beneficial but havent really felt that they helped me much. I would just stick to taking the recommended dose on the bottle. Taking too much zinc actually gave me stomach pains and too much vit a can also be dangerous. If you wanted to take a higher dose maybe speak to a doctor/naturopath first - or at least do some research.

I have found eating a healthy diet that minimizes sugar and grains has been the most helpful for my skin - more then any vitamin. Unfortunately i havent found that "miracle" vitamin that cures my skin but i still feel they can help support your overall health.

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 09/18/2015 12:28 pm

No, they're worthless.

Ever helpful. As always.

MemberMember
(@hide123)

Posted : 09/19/2015 5:32 pm

Here's the thing with supplements...they are just that supplements, not replacements. So the best way to get essential vitamins into your body and have optimal results is through your diet. I know that it can be hard sometimes, and that some people they NEED supplements, but for most people, you don't actually need to take supplements. Try changing your diet and drinking lots and lots of water.

However, if you are really hell bent on taking supplements then make sure you research them all carefully, talk to your doctor or HCP about dosage, interactions with other medications you may be taking etc. and make sure you read the supplement ingredient label, because even though supplements are technically supposed to be healthy for you, they can be dangerous if not taken properly and can do more harm than good.

Just a side note: I used to take B12 supplements, and I found that broke me out like crazy...so I stopped taking them, and my skin has significantly cleared up.