Notifications
Clear all

Vomiting With New Regimen

MemberMember
(@trynitey)

Posted : 08/20/2015 1:10 pm

Tuesday, I went to the dermatologist for the first time. I was put on doxycycline twice a day, epiduo at night after plexion wash (sulfa), and in the morning, clindamycin. Tueday night, and all of Wednesday, I was only on the doxy and epiduo. I had no issues. I had no issues last night when washing my face, but this morning, after the clindamycin and doxy, I ended up getting sick and vomited. I only did it this morning and have been okay the rest of the day. Has anyone had any reaction like this to any of these medications? The clindamycin also made me itchy and I have redness going on.

MemberMember
(@ezfreezy)

Posted : 08/22/2015 8:47 am

Yes it is a known side effect of tetracycline and its derivatives, doxycycline and minocycline.

When I took doxycycline, the pharmacist recommended that I take my pill on an empty stomach IF it didn't make me nauseous. The reason they recommend an empty stomach is so that the antibiotic can be absorbed quicker and unobstructed.

However, she told me if I was getting sick after the dosage, there really isn't an issue taking the medication with food; the medication still gets absorbed eventually, and it still is effective. It seemed to help quite a bit, so that's something you could ask your doctor/pharmacist about.

As I've cautioned before in these forums, be very careful with oral antibiotics. There are other treatments that won't make you nauseous, reduce your healthy gut flora (good bacteria in the stomach), or create a resistance to bacteria. The pills are great for clearing your acne, but they are definitely not for long term. Once you are clear, a different maintenance regimen could be more beneficial to you.

Good luck!