Notifications
Clear all

Moisturizer While On Accutane? Just Started Accutane For The 4Th Time

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 08/16/2015 9:37 pm

Hello there. Anyone have any good recommendations about a good moisturizer to use while on accutane? You would think I would be an expert by now since this is my 4th time going on it. I really don't remember what I used as I don't remember my face already getting this dry and barely have taken a week of pills. I am super oily all day everyday since I was 13 so kinda shocked I am already getting this dryness so early on. If anyone has any good recs please let me know.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 08/16/2015 9:50 pm

I like using vaseline at night. I apply it on damp skin. I'm on my second course of accutane and my skin has also been so dry this time around when before it didn't seem to be much of an issue.

MemberMember
(@coffeegirl30)

Posted : 08/17/2015 2:22 am

A-derma cream.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 08/17/2015 4:53 am

My derm gave me cetaphil cream but told me to only use it if desperate. Basically she said to let everything be dry - so i only moisturize around my mouth where it gets really flakey, and let my cheeks staydry

MemberMember
(@rlam)

Posted : 08/17/2015 8:58 pm

SIMPLE REPLENISHING RICH MOISTURIZER for your face, and VANICREAM for your body. The Simple is extremely non-comedogenic (I went through all the ingredients) and Vanicream is super thick and moisturizing. I swear by these products!

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 08/17/2015 11:11 pm

My derm gave me cetaphil cream but told me to only use it if desperate. Basically she said to let everything be dry - so i only moisturize around my mouth where it gets really flakey, and let my cheeks staydry

Let it be dry? Really? I've been moisturizing a ton because I thought I was supposed to! Anyone else heard this?

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 08/17/2015 11:48 pm

Thank you so much for all the recs! Im curious why let it be dry? Normally I don't mind dry skin at all, but I never experience dry skin ever until accutane but the first three times I did not get dry until around my last month of my 6 month course. My hands, feet, and arms got severely dry but that never bothered me just not use to having such a dry face barely a week into accutane. Why stay dry? Not sure I can handle being dry for 6 months if I am already this dry so soon. Again thank you for all the recs. I am heading to the local drug store tomorrow asap after work!

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 08/18/2015 3:23 am

Thats crazy. I got was given a sample of cetaphil and was told to purchase some at the store immediatly and moisterize fully multiple times a day. My skin is so dry after a shower its pulled tighter than a drum, if I did not moisterize it would be terrible.

For the OP Cerave and Cetaphil make decent moisterizing creams if you are not picky. They do the job alright and I have not had any issues so far.

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 08/19/2015 1:22 am

Thank you! I just bought some. I hope I can make it to 6 months I just can't believe how dry I am after barely a week into it. So weird!

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 08/20/2015 6:47 am

That's why my derm told me, and I've read a lot of people on here who hve been told the same. As she put it, the point of accutane is to dry your skin up, so let it do that.

And, well, it's worked for me.

As I said, if I have a noticeably flakey patch (around my nose, for example) I moisturize. But that's it. I use aquaphor on my lips as well.

MemberMember
(@myka34)

Posted : 08/20/2015 1:37 pm

Cetaphil and Vaseline were a god send to me when I was on Accutane (taken two full courses but still have acne )

I don't understand ppl saying that they were told to let skin be dry or not use moisturizer unless absolutely necessary?!?!?

One thing i remember super clear is the terribly DRY LIPS always cracking and bleeding and your skin becomes PAPER THIN!!! like a 90 year old women!!! (nothing against 90 year olds! love em!!!)

Just remember to keep a REALLY healthy diet and drink LOTS of water....the Accutane makes the fat levels in your blood and liver so jacked up.

Good luck on your 4th course!!! hopefully last one right?

MemberMember
(@accuanne)

Posted : 08/22/2015 11:52 pm

I swear by Cerave! It kept my face moisturized for basically the entire day without making it oily.