Notifications
Clear all

My Diet For Long Term Clear Skin

MemberMember
(@wshewfelt)

Posted : 08/15/2015 2:30 am

Everyone has their own success story, and this one is mine. I don't claim this is the best or only way to clear your skin, but it has 100% worked for me. If this can help 1 person, I've done my job.

TLDR? Eat a whole foods, plant based diet. Fruits, nuts, greens, beans, whole grains, etc.

I dealt with acne for a painful 8 years. It covered every inch of my face, I couldn't smile without bursting a pimple, and I woke up every morning with blood on my pillow from ruptured whiteheads. I spent thousands on topicals: cleansers, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur treatments, masks, moisturizers, all that crap. Because of acne, stress levels were sky high and I was totally antisocial.

I did accutane which provided about 1 year of relief. Sure enough, acne came back (when none of the health factors causing your acne change, your acne will come back).

Basically, I began watching videos about the link between antioxidants and acne. Which lead to learning about how whole plants foods radically improve health. Now I can say I don't experience any acne and use no treatments. Simply eat my beans, greens, fruits, nuts, whole grains, spices, green tea, etc. I take Vit D3, omega 3, and B12. No dairy or meat. If you're going through as much pain as I went through, give it a shot. You have nothing to lose...eating healthy never hurt anyone.

In addition, cardio and sleep help a lot. If you're eating healthy plant foods, doing cardio, and getting your 8 hours, that's a winning combo for clear skin.

Also, nutritionfacts.org was a great resource for me. Worth a watch if you have time.

Oichi, LilySmith, SkinDeeply and 2 people liked
MemberMember
(@ripvanwinkle)

Posted : 08/15/2015 8:23 am

(when none of the health factors causing your acne change, your acne will come back).

This is right on the money. If you have acne, you are doing something wrong and you normally have to make a BIG change in your life to see real relief.

I'm happy you have found your cure. Thank you for sharing your method. I used something similar but didn't have to cut meat. I also never eat any grains at all. I feel meat is really vilified when there is plenty of hormone-free, ethically raised meat available. It may not be necessary but I don't think it's the enemy it is painted to be.

I wish everyone would try diet changes before medication. I find it hilarious and stupid that doctors prescribe meds before even MENTIONING diet. Crazy.

MemberMember
(@wshewfelt)

Posted : 08/15/2015 11:51 am

(when none of the health factors causing your acne change, your acne will come back).

This is right on the money. If you have acne, you are doing something wrong and you normally have to make a BIG change in your life to see real relief.

I'm happy you have found your cure. Thank you for sharing your method. I used something similar but didn't have to cut meat. I also never eat any grains at all. I feel meat is really vilified when there is plenty of hormone-free, ethically raised meat available. It may not be necessary but I don't think it's the enemy it is painted to be.

I wish everyone would try diet changes before medication. I find it hilarious and stupid that doctors prescribe meds before even MENTIONING diet. Crazy.

Thanks for reading! I absolutely agree that dietary changes can make a huge difference. Overall health is at the root of acne (diet, exercise, sleep) and I wish I had learned sooner! Doctors prefer to demand less from patients so as to keep them happy, so lifestyle changes are out of the question. Far easier to prescribe a quick fix antibiotic or topical.

I'm glad to hear good nutrition has helped with your acne as well :)

MemberMember
(@rachkellz)

Posted : 08/27/2015 1:29 pm

Good for you! changing my diet and adding in vitamins has helped me as well !! and they say "diet has no connection"

MemberMember
(@lus4279)

Posted : 08/28/2015 6:33 pm

Its a bit harsh to say that if you have acne your doing something wrong. I tried numerous diet and lifestyle changes to no effect but never mind.

Anyway glad you found your trigger and was able to get it under control.

MemberMember
(@ripvanwinkle)

Posted : 09/02/2015 12:47 pm

Its a bit harsh to say that if you have acne your doing something wrong. I tried numerous diet and lifestyle changes to no effect but never mind.

Holistic posters are always smug like this. Don't worry about it.

Forgive me if I don't really care about people's feelings on the matter. I'm trying to be brutally honest about the only way that I think (yes, my opinion) works without destroying your body. Saying you tried "numerous diet and lifestyle changes to no effect" does not mean you exhausted the possibility. If someone were to have "tried dieting" but never lost any weight, would you think maybe they did it wrong and needed help? Maybe you weren't ruthless enough. Acne is a tough SOB.

Do whatever works for you. Call me smug all you want. I am shameless about what I think the real cause of acne is: Shitty lifestyle and food. You are in the "Diet & Holistic Health" section of this board anyway.

MemberMember
(@susanrey)

Posted : 09/09/2015 3:10 am

thanks for sharing this. the clear skin can be generated by using your methods.