Notifications
Clear all

Fraxel Laser Leaving Permanent Scars

MemberMember
(@k-lilive-com)

Posted : 08/07/2015 1:37 pm

I've done this treatment a few times and am pretty convinced I've just wasted a lot of money. I know it works for a lot of people, but unfortunately, I seem to be one of those who actually have negative results from this really expensive treatment. My treatments have been rather far apart, mainly due to the fact I was on Accutane last year. I waited 6 months before my last Fraxel treatment, which I got exactly a month ago.

So now, one month later, I still see the pin pricks all over my face. It looks like enlarged pores all over my face (even the previously smooth areas), but the spacing of the marks make it clear that they were the ones put there by the laser, and they are not going away. Now, I did have this treatment a couple times before Accutane, but it's been so long and I unfortunately did not take any photos documenting the before/afters each treatment, that I just don't remember if the pin marks ever faded for me. I've read that they're supposed to go away after a week. And in addition to that, I see almost no improvement to my acne scars.

I guess my question is mainly just: do you guys know what I should do to treat the damage from the lasers? Should I talk to my derm about dermarolling? I don't know if that would be better or worse, it also puts holes in your face. I'm just not sure why my face won't heal properly from Fraxel. I was hoping time would fix it, but like I said, it has been a month and I still see all these distinguished pin marks all over me, so I don't know

Thanks for reading, and I hope someone out there can share some information/suggestions soon! 'Cause god knows my derm does not, I'm not even sure what kind of laser I had done (it wasn't until I looked online myself that I found out there's Fraxel re:store and re:pair, ablative vs non-ablative and all that).

Edit: Photos

?1

MemberMember
(@tevez)

Posted : 08/07/2015 5:58 pm

How many fraxels have you had? It was non ablative?

MemberMember
(@k-lilive-com)

Posted : 08/08/2015 5:37 pm

How many fraxels have you had? It was non ablative?

Around 5-6 total, I would say - the first 3-4 I had done at a clinic, but it was not very professional. The doctor did not do it himself, and instead had some girls that were clearly not nurses or medical professionals do it. It hurt a lot more but was cheaper ($300 dollars a session, I think). I did not see much results, however, I don't think I had the permanent pin marks problem from those sessions.

The later ones I went to a different dermatologist, and these were $800 a session and the doctor did it himself. It hurt less, but again, I don't see any improvements to the scarring and they left permanent pin marks on my face. It's the "orange peel skin" some people have after this treatment, and it doesn't seem uncommon.

And yes, I think it was non-ablative. Like I said, my doctor never really explained to me and I didn't even know there was non-ablative and ablative until I looked it up online.

I'm adding some photos to my original post of what my skin looks like right now (sorry they're not the best quality, but it shows what I need to show) - there's a lot of scarring on my cheeks, but you can see all the pin marks on the surrounding skin.

MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/08/2015 6:00 pm

A statistical minority of people have adverse reactions to laser treatment, you may simply be one of those unlucky ones.

You should start rolling and peels, keep that turnover rate up to start healing the damage.

MemberMember
(@tevez)

Posted : 08/08/2015 7:22 pm

I think these should fade.

Have you ever tried red light therapy ?

I've seen stories of people online that have the same problem from fraxel but much worse

I'll keep looking on the internet for an answer

MemberMember
(@tevez)

Posted : 08/09/2015 7:54 am

http://www.realself.com/review/world-fraxel-laser-orange-peel-texture-help-please-read#

Found this link the lady cured her scars using honey and emu oil

MemberMember
(@cycloverid)

Posted : 08/09/2015 10:05 pm

Those marks will definitely fade, but it will take 3-6 months for your skin to fully get rid of them.

If you are getting F:Restore done, then likely it will turn out to be a waste of money as it doesn't go that deep.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/10/2015 2:18 pm

I've seen that review on Realself and I think it's total BS. No way that was caused by Retin-A. Number one, she specifically stated that those weren't even her pictures. She just found some photos online that were "like" her orange peel texture.

MemberMember
(@tevez)

Posted : 08/11/2015 1:38 am

I've seen that review on Realself and I think it's total BS. No way that was caused by Retin-A. Number one, she specifically stated that those weren't even her pictures. She just found some photos online that were "like" her orange peel texture.

FMD I must admit I'm a bit unsure also why would someone go to all that trouble

MemberMember
(@kitteechaosyahoo-com)

Posted : 08/14/2015 7:03 am

I actually talked to a woman on a message board who had bad skin damage caused by just an otc retinol product. She had photos of it, it was bad, with orange peel texture, huge pores and "scars" all over her cheeks. She did recover after a couple years of being gentle with her skin....but some people just can't use retin-a/retinol, and it is possible for it to cause the orange peel look. And this is nothing personal for me, as I have never used a retinoid. Just sayin'.

MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/14/2015 12:39 pm

Retinoids speed up cell turnover and so gradually uncover the underlying damage that was always there. The key is to keep using them, preferably in combination with some other modality like peels/needling to work all that damage out and gradually replace it with healthy skin again.

MemberMember
(@templeofdoom)

Posted : 08/14/2015 5:03 pm

I have exactly the same texture as you on my temples following laser treatment. I'm on the hunt for a permanent cure. Emu oil etc.

At the moment, before bed, I just rub either, aloe gel, baby oil or olive oil into the skin, and it helps for most of the following day.

MemberMember
(@k-lilive-com)

Posted : 09/14/2015 10:35 pm

I have exactly the same texture as you on my temples following laser treatment. I'm on the hunt for a permanent cure. Emu oil etc.

At the moment, before bed, I just rub either, aloe gel, baby oil or olive oil into the skin, and it helps for most of the following day.

Hey! How long ago was your treatment? Have you seen any improvement?

Also thanks to everyone else for their input - I have been reading your comments and suggestions, and have decided to start derma rolling to see if it can reverse the damage. Been poking around online for more info and it does seem like an unfortunate effect some people experience. Haven't seen a lot of solutions though, but I do hope it'll fade in time. :(

What this person described here is exactly what I have right now, since I don't think my photos show the damage too well: http://www.realself.com/question/enlarged-pores-texture-change-fraxel-restore-permanent-damage

The "quilt-like texture" and my pores are definitely larger than they were before Fraxel. It looks horrid in natural light.

And, of course, the only response is just "time" or yet another treatment, and frankly I'm afraid of doing any more lasers after this.

I'm starting derma rolling with a 1mm roller once a month. Did my first treatment August 31st and so far haven't seen any changes, but I know it's going to be a long process. If anyone else has any more advice or input I would really love to hear it!

Should I start doing TCA peels as well? I don't really know anything about it but may start looking into that too since I hear dermarolling + peels has much greater results compared to rolling alone. Thoughts? Since there's so little information on this side effect, I really don't know how to approach this - even derms don't seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to textural changes that stay months after Fraxel. I'm hoping I can treat these little pinholes like they're just little indented scars? Otherwise I'm not sure if all this rolling and peels would help. :s This is so frustrating.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 09/16/2015 6:53 am

I definitely see the grid-like patterns where the laser struck. So was this Fraxel Repair or Fraxel Restore, I'm still not clear. I had Mixto C02 laser once, and I also noted small pinprick like patterns on my cheeks after. It concerned me enough that I never attempted another C02 laser. I think it happens more than is reported. I think laser does work for some people, but the side effects are under-reported.

For me, they have faded quite a bit, but there is still a slight texture difference that I can see in certain lighting. My skincare regimen includes daily retin-a and a lot of moisturizer. Whether or not that helped the texture difference is difficult to gauge.

MemberMember
(@templeofdoom)

Posted : 09/16/2015 4:44 pm

The laser treatment I had which gave me the sort of orange peel texture was 6 years ago I think now, but the texture became worse over time. I recently got Restylane skin booster which made a difference to my scarring.

If you look at my skin texture around the scarring compared to the skin at the top of my cheek you can see tiny dots, lines etc.

Ps. Btw, since my last post I've tried a new technique.

Lemon juice and pure organic honey as a face mask for 20 - 30 mins. Then using organic pure coconut oil as a moisturiser and leaving it over night.

Skin looks so much better in the morning and it lasts most of the day. Coconut oil is a winner!

It's definitely worth trying!