Notifications
Clear all

First Chemical Peel: What To Expect?

MemberMember
(@nicoblossom)

Posted : 08/04/2015 12:36 am

Hi Everyone,

I finally broke down and went to a new dermatologist last week. He prescribed Aczone, Tazorac and Sulfacleanse. His aesthetician (who I know personally) said a chemical peel would also help. I'm aiming to rid myself of both active acne and specifically dark scars/hyperpigmentation. I haven't started the Aczone or Sulfacleanse yet, I've used the Tazorac every other night since my appointment last thursday (3 times so far). I am wondering what I should expect from my first chemical peel? This is what the pamphlet says for the type she suggested for me:

• Ultra Peel I & Sensi Peel $100 Effectively treats aging and sun damaged skin, leaving your complexion supple and hydrated. Best for all skin types and sensitivities.

On the website it has a little more info:

• Sensi Peel $100 Gentle yet effective treatment for even the most sensitive skin types. Light exfoliation that combats aging, sun damage, acne, and even reduces inflammation.
  • Ultra Peel I $100 Effectively treats many skin types & conditions, especially dehydrated or mature skin, leaving the skin plump and supple. Helps improve pigmentation, fine lines & wrinkles, sun damage, and acne.

Does anyone know what I should expect from my first chemical peel? How much downtime? If you are curious about the current condition of my skin, I posted pictures in

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@wellabys)

Posted : 08/29/2015 3:10 pm

I was curious as to how your peel went? I have one scheduled soon& am a little nervous! I have mild breakouts and some hyperpigmentation that I want removed.

MemberMember
(@nicoblossom)

Posted : 09/04/2015 3:42 pm

I was curious as to how your peel went? I have one scheduled soon& am a little nervous! I have mild breakouts and some hyperpigmentation that I want removed.

Hi Wellabys! My peel went really well, I had a mild peel and my aesthetition was so amazing and patient. It was only a little uncomfortable and stung a bit during some of the time, but mostly it didn't feel any worse than putting most acne products on sensitive skin. I wrote about it on my main log, here's a copy and paste of that entry:

I got my first chemical peel on Monday! The peel itself was only mildly uncomfortable. My aesthetician was amazing, she's a friend of a friend. She did what felt like a TON of extractions. She even put some mineral powder over the layers of balms and sunscreen that she put on my face post-peel so I could go back to work. Here's how the last couple of days have gone:

• Monday, woke up and my skin was glowy probably from having been relaxing and camping all weekend.
  • Monday afternoon, post-peel, my face was still glowy but a little inflamed in areas where I normally break out, and in areas where she did extractions (she did sooo many extractions!)
  • The night of the peel, my skin felt a little tight and very slightly itchy but mostly normal. I bought Cetaphil face wash to use for the few days following the peel when I couldn't use my prescription products. At night, I began this regimen that she gave me for 3-5 days post-peel:
  1. Washed with Cetaphil
  2. Used rebalance lotion and soothing balm from my aesthetician.
  • Morning of first day post-peel: I noticed I was itching overnight around my jaw. I did the regimen above and used extra soothing balm (soothing balm has hydrocortisone in it)
  • Day 1 after the peel my skin still felt a little itchy, but I noticed it looked a lot less congested. She popped three pimples and they started healing pretty rapidly.
  • Night 1: Same regimen as above. Resisted urge to touch face and went to bed.
  • Day 2: No peeling yet. Still mild itching. Same regimen as above for the morning. I kept the soothing balm nearby at work and had to use it a few times around my jaw line.
  • Night 2: I noticed the areas to the sides of my eyes looked like they were about to break out. I am also getting a big fat underground painful thing on my forehead near my hairline. *panic* I texted my aesthetician (as I said, she's my friend's best friend), who said I could use my Sulfacleanse face wash and Aczone topical spot treatment. She said in the morning I can continue my Mario Basedcu products and, if I'm not peeling tomorrow night, I can continue Tazorac.
  • Day 3: The emergency flare up situation on the sides of my eyes seems to have subsided, thank goodness. I used Mario Basescu buffering lotion and Aczone this morning, which seemed to initiate some peeling. Then I followed with the rebalance lotion and soothing balm.

That's it so far! I am only peeling a very little bit around my mouth and smile lines, and in some areas around my hyperpigmented scars. She said even if I don't peel, I am still benefiting from the chemical peel.

Per my dermatologist's recommendations, I switched to Cetaphil 30 SPF sunscreen which is formulated for acne-prone skin, and I use it every morning. Sometimes I re-apply midday. I like it so far, it feels very light weight.

I'll post another update in a couple of days. Happy Thursday!