Notifications
Clear all

First Eczema Breakout While On Accutane! Help!

MemberMember
(@scarletbegonias)

Posted : 07/27/2015 9:44 pm

Hi everyone! I'm nearing the end of my 2nd month on Zenatane this week. About two days ago I noticed I started getting a rash up my forearms and the sides of my arms. It's small, red, roughish bumps that are sometimes itchy. I thought it was a reaction to being in the sun a little too long but my dermatologist confirmed it today and said its Eczema. I'm a little freaked out about this. I've never had Eczema before starting accutane and I know it's a normal side effect but it isn't getting better and I'm scared its going to get worse or spread. My doctor did prescribe me a topical but its only for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for treating and preventing this for the duration of my accutane treatment??

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/27/2015 10:14 pm

I have red bumps and raised dry patches on my upper arms, right on my giant powerful bulging biceps. I just put some lotion on that shit and it goes away.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/28/2015 10:35 am

Hi everyone! I'm nearing the end of my 2nd month on Zenatane this week. About two days ago I noticed I started getting a rash up my forearms and the sides of my arms. It's small, red, roughish bumps that are sometimes itchy. I thought it was a reaction to being in the sun a little too long but my dermatologist confirmed it today and said its Eczema. I'm a little freaked out about this. I've never had Eczema before starting accutane and I know it's a normal side effect but it isn't getting better and I'm scared its going to get worse or spread. My doctor did prescribe me a topical but its only for 2 weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations for treating and preventing this for the duration of my accutane treatment??

Hi - don't worry! This is a totally common side effect of accutane, and usually indicates you need to up your moisturizing game. Is the topical your doc prescribed a steroid cream? If so - it should clear up the eczema patches relatively quickly (2-3 days). After that, you should continue using a very strong, fragrance free moisturizer. Aveeno makes moisturizers specifically for eczema - you will usually find them where you find anti-itch ointments etc. Religious use of a good body moisturizer should keep the rashes at bay.

I have red bumps and raised dry patches on my upper arms, right on my giant powerful bulging biceps. I just put some lotion on that shit and it goes away.

Hahahahahaha. Subtle!

MemberMember
(@scarletbegonias)

Posted : 07/30/2015 10:26 pm

Hi - don't worry! This is a totally common side effect of accutane, and usually indicates you need to up your moisturizing game. Is the topical your doc prescribed a steroid cream? If so - it should clear up the eczema patches relatively quickly (2-3 days). After that, you should continue using a very strong, fragrance free moisturizer. Aveeno makes moisturizers specifically for eczema - you will usually find them where you find anti-itch ointments etc. Religious use of a good body moisturizer should keep the rashes at bay.

>I have red bumps and raised dry patches on my upper arms, right on my giant powerful bulging biceps. I just put some lotion on that shit and it goes away.

Hahahahahaha. Subtle!

Thanks so much for the advice! I started applying extra moisturizer specifically for eczema and its starting to go away ;D