Notifications
Clear all

Should I Use Differin On My Skin W/eczema?

MemberMember
(@stephaniemay)

Posted : 06/26/2015 4:58 pm

So when I first went to this dermatologist, I was prescribed to use an oral pill for acne, and Aczone. 3 months later, my face has gotten better after (mostly) regular usage of the oral pill and extremely infrequent usage of Aczone, as well as going dairy-free.

I'm apprehensive if I should use Differin, becuase everything I've read so far says NOT to use on skin with eczema... Additionally, my skin has acne that's more on the light to mild side. My face isn't freaking out, and I don't have pustules or anything too severe after getting rid of dairy. The past week I've tried eating milk chocolate to see if I would break out, and I have, although nowhere near the extent when I was drinking milk.

So because of this, I expect my skin to go back to normal within the next 1- 2 weeks, and still don't know if I should use Differin. On one hand, I've heard that being an adapalene, (part of the retinoid family) it could help reduce scarring and hyperpigmentation that's on my face. On the other hand, I don't want my face to get worse if it could heal on its own. Should I just suck it up and use Differin? (It would be used in addition to Aczone, though at different times of the day)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/26/2015 5:11 pm

So when I first went to this dermatologist, I was prescribed to use an oral pill for acne, and Aczone. 3 months later, my face has gotten better after (mostly) regular usage of the oral pill and extremely infrequent usage of Aczone, as well as going dairy-free.

I'm apprehensive if I should use Differin, becuase everything I've read so far says NOT to use on skin with eczema... Additionally, my skin has acne that's more on the light to mild side. My face isn't freaking out, and I don't have pustules or anything too severe after getting rid of dairy. The past week I've tried eating milk chocolate to see if I would break out, and I have, although nowhere near the extent when I was drinking milk.

So because of this, I expect my skin to go back to normal within the next 1- 2 weeks, and still don't know if I should use Differin. On one hand, I've heard that being an adapalene, (part of the retinoid family) it could help reduce scarring and hyperpigmentation that's on my face. On the other hand, I don't want my face to get worse if it could heal on its own. Should I just suck it up and use Differin? (It would be used in addition to Aczone, though at different times of the day)

Hi - I am not a doctor but I would expect that using differin on eczematic skin would not be a good idea. If you are more or less clear with your current regimen, I really wouldn't change it.