Notifications
Clear all

Drinking & Doing Recreational Drugs While On Accutane

MemberMember
(@scarletbegonias)

Posted : 06/22/2015 9:47 pm

Hey guys!

I used to go on this site quite frequently but over the years lost touch with the community. After battling cystic acne for the past 10 years I have finally taken the plunge and started Accutane. I created a new account to document my journey on a blog here.

Anyway, I noticed there wasn't too much information out there on user's experiences of drinking and/or doing recreational drugs while taking Accutane. I know the warning is that you should not drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages per day while on this drug, however, it is summer for most of us and avoiding social situations where others are partying can be tough. Therefore, I wanted to hear any of your own experiences dabbling in partying while on isotretenoin and also share my own experiences thus far.

I did drink about four beers in one night, some were higher alcoholic contents than others. I spaced them out about an hour apart and drank water as much as possible. I felt that I didn't get much of a hangover this way and felt relatively fine. I am also a frequent marijuana smoker and have seen absolutely no side effects from smoking while on Accutane. It has actually helped with mild nausea I have been experiencing in the mornings.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I also dabbled in more recreational substances a few times as well. I consumed them in very small quantities and did not mix them with alcohol. I felt relatively fine, stayed extra hydrated and spaced out my partying over a few weeks. Now, before you lecture, I have decided to forgo drinking and doing recreational substances for the duration of my Accutane treatment as a way to detox my body and boost my overall health. However, I felt it might be helpful to other curious users to share my experience with these substances while on the 'tane. If anyone has any personal experiences they'd like to share please post them, I'd love to start a discussion!

-R

MemberMember
(@awwdear)

Posted : 07/01/2015 1:32 am

Hi!

I'm on my low dose accutane course (5 mg per day) and I didn't change the amount of alcohol I drink at all. Actually, a few times I took my pill and had some beer immediately after. All my blood tests results are normal and I feel alright. My derm has told me that alcohol doesn't influence the process of Accutane absorbsion at all, it only can weaken your liver. But when the blood tests are fine, there's nothing to worry about. In my case, the dose is so small that I really can drink as much as I wish to. On the other hand, my boyfriend went through a course with a higher dose and he was drinking a lot. His blood tests at the end of Accutane were somehow alarming but he finished the course (a bit earlier) and nothing actually happened to him. After a few months his blood tests results were normal again and he didn't suffer any long-term damage from Accutane (or mixing Accutane with alcohol). Plus, he didn't experience a relapse of acne. So, I guess, this "no alcohol" thing is kinda exaggerated.

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 07/01/2015 5:57 am

I would avoid alchohol just in case. A couple drinks now and then probably isn't a big deal but why risk it. The biggest concern it seems is how taxing alchohol is on the liver. I dont know how other recreational drugs would react but I dont see why they would be a problem besides like opiates and stuff that strain your liver as well.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/02/2015 7:32 am

It's your body so do with it what you will. My personal opinion though is that accutane is a dangerous drug in and of itself so why put more strain on your liver by drinking and smoking because it's the social thing to do. You may be fine but there is the chance that you may be one of the unlucky people that get nasty side effects that may or may not be permanent. I say put your health first and adjust your lifestyle accordingly. Drinking on accutane shot up my liver enzymes like crazy.

MemberMember
(@scarletbegonias)

Posted : 07/09/2015 9:34 pm

I would avoid alchohol just in case. A couple drinks now and then probably isn't a big deal but why risk it. The biggest concern it seems is how taxing alchohol is on the liver. I dont know how other recreational drugs would react but I dont see why they would be a problem besides like opiates and stuff that strain your liver as well.

Thanks for your input! I actually asked a friend who was having non Accutane related liver issues and he informed me that psychedelics at least don't affect the liver too much. The opiate thing is a great point, although I prefer to stay away from them in general

It's your body so do with it what you will. My personal opinion though is that accutane is a dangerous drug in and of itself so why put more strain on your liver by drinking and smoking because it's the social thing to do. You may be fine but there is the chance that you may be one of the unlucky people that get nasty side effects that may or may not be permanent. I say put your health first and adjust your lifestyle accordingly. Drinking on accutane shot up my liver enzymes like crazy.

I totally agree! After one night partying while on this stuff, I really didn't feel so great so I've decided to go the sober route for the duration of my treatment with a beer here or there. I'm now looking at this experience as a great way to detox for 5 months :)

MemberMember
(@isogirl123)

Posted : 02/05/2016 5:46 am

I wouldn't do it. If you are serious about getting rid of your acne then its a sacrifice worth making imo. Aside from putting your health at risk, you are also risking being taken off treatment if your bloods come back abnormal. Bite the bullet and just abstain, you might be surprised at how quickly you adjust to not drinking etc. If I can do it anyone can!

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 02/05/2016 12:09 pm

My derm told me that drinking a few drinks was totally fine. He said you'll do more damage to your liver taking ibuprofen everyday than you will drinking. He said to just try and stick to wine and lighter beer. The hard liquor is where people get into trouble, and dont get hammered. Thats never a good idea.
I personally feel like shit when I drink on accutane, so its easy for me to stay away from it.