Notifications
Clear all

Adult Acne Problem. Help!

MemberMember
(@hiimedwin)

Posted : 06/15/2015 6:24 pm

As a teenager going through puberty I never really had a problem with acne. I got some but never enough to bother me. However, during my early 20s my acne started to become a problem. I am now 24 and my acne is the worst it had ever been. I recently went to a local dermatologist (rowland heights, CA ) to see if they could help me out. They give me facial sessions where they clean my face and pop my pimples with a tool and also give me this blue light. I also got soap, a benzoyl peroxide cream, oil free mosturizer, and oral medication. I've been going to this doctor for a month and a half now but I don't believe I am seeing any improvements. Every morning I wake up with more new acne and I also get more throughout the day. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out and find the cause of my acne and also help me stop/eliminate it... it's getting to the point where I don't even want to leave my house anymore. Please help!

ThomasCax liked
MemberMember
(@99acneproblems)

Posted : 06/16/2015 6:47 am

Hi ! You say you are waking up with acne, did you know dermatologist recommend washing your pillowcase every 2-3 days ? kind of unrealistic for most people. I use the Sleepclean pillowcase, works wonders for me. Also don't forget to launder all of your bedding with hypoallergenic detergent as frequently as possible. There is so much bacteria on your pillowcase and bed that contribute to acne. Let me know if this helps !

MemberMember
(@hiimedwin)

Posted : 06/16/2015 5:58 pm

Oh wow I did not even know there was such thing as a sleep clean pillow. I do try to wash my pillowcase every week or 2 and have actually bought a new pillow recently because my old one seems pretty dirty. I'm going to go ahead and order the sleep clean pillowcase and I will try that out. Thank you for the advice.

Any information on sleeping with my dog and getting acne? I tried not sleeping with him for a month and I washed all my bed sheets but I still was breaking out

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@99acneproblems)

Posted : 06/16/2015 6:46 pm

I hope it helps, I did read a review on the website about someone who purchased one because they sleep with their dog, but they also mentioned that they did not have acne, they were just concerned about the bacteria. Let me know if it works out for you !

MemberMember
(@vancouvermoon)

Posted : 06/16/2015 11:23 pm

My derm said pillow cases just need to be laundered In regular laundry, not excessively. The issue is internal - systemic. If acne came from pillowcases, everyone would have it.

What is the oral medication you mentioned? An antibiotic? Maybe look into spironolactone (assuming youre female) - It's worked for me. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@tadamasa)

Posted : 06/17/2015 11:53 am

Other than topicals and creams, how's your diet? Are you avoiding the general acne causing foods like dairy, sugar(fruit is ok), vegetable oil, etc. Also for some people, moisturizer causes break outs so you can try not using it for like a week to see if it changes anything. There's a lot of people who cured their acne here, you can try reading some of their stories and see if you can get any tips.

MemberMember
(@tiffypoo)

Posted : 06/17/2015 8:23 pm

While the doctor is addressing the external, you should start understanding what's going on internally. Try to keep a food diary and match that up against your breakouts. Try to track your daily routine, is acne more severe on certain days, weeks during the month, etc. Doing that will be a good starting point.

MemberMember
(@hiimedwin)

Posted : 06/18/2015 11:07 am

Wow thank you all for the input. The medication I started says minocyclin 100 dan 5695. I use a oil free mosturizer provided by my dermatologist(skin perfect brothers in rowland heights,ca). I don't think either of these are the causes for my acne though because it has been getting worse way before I started taking these. I am starting to watch my diet these days eating less fast food don't really drink milk because I'm lactose intolerant but I do eat a lot of cheese and chips and cheesy chips haha. I try to eat brown rice with chicken and whole wheat foods. Also have started taking zinc, vitamin a, and vitamin e a couple weeks ago. Really hoping this helps :/. I hate acne!

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 06/18/2015 4:51 pm

Try taking cod liver oil capsules. It has natural vitamin a and d in it and will balance your hormones out! Cheers

MemberMember
(@hiimedwin)

Posted : 06/18/2015 6:00 pm

Try taking cod liver oil capsules. It has natural vitamin a and d in it and will balance your hormones out! Cheers

The vitamin a supplements I take say 25,000 iu from fish liver oil. This is what you're talking about correct?

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 06/18/2015 6:42 pm

Not even close... Vitamin a in cod liver oil only has about 1250iu... It's not healthy to over do any vitamins. I used to think that by getting more than 100 percent that it would be doing my body good but that is not the case. It stresses your body out and has adverse effects to too Much. 25 to 50 percent vitamin a is perfect because the rest of the 50 percent you should be getting from food... Hope this helps. Cheers

The vitamin a supplements I take say 25,000 iu from fish liver oil. This is what you're talking about correct?

MemberMember
(@ladypink)

Posted : 06/19/2015 9:07 am

I'll start taking cod liver capsules too, maybe that will help with my hormones, great idea. Other than that, you can always get a blood test done to see if anything is wrong. Some health conditions cause acne, who knows !

Acne is so complicated. ;(

MemberMember
(@vancouvermoon)

Posted : 06/20/2015 11:46 pm

My derm said antibiotics long term are dangerous, and that spironolactone, which is not a hormone, but works by stopping testosterone at the hair follicle, (testosterone is what can cause too much sebum in the follicle, which gets blocked, and inflamed) is very safe for long term use. I am clear on 100mg spironolactone. Hope this helps. I'm 38, btw. Female.

MemberMember
(@jm1324)

Posted : 06/21/2015 5:42 am

I am also an adult with terrible skin problems (acne). What helps me a lot is changing my diet (no sugar or yeats) and colon cleanse. I did a comlete colon cleanse and detixifying program, and it helped a lot.

MemberMember
(@hiimedwin)

Posted : 06/21/2015 10:57 pm

Thank you all for your inputs. I am starting on my healthy diet and I just got my sleep clean pillow case in the mail. If this doesn't work I am going to try to get on the spironolactone. You guys have been great I feel better even with just your support. :)? ()

MemberMember
(@vancouvermoon)

Posted : 07/01/2015 11:45 pm

This site is like that one friend you can tell anything to. I don't talk to anyone about my skin - except people here and my derm.

I'm on here almost every night because although I'm clear now (spiro 100 and Tactupump), I know I still would h e acne if not for these meds and products.

So, I still feel part of te community and like I want to try to help someone if I can.

How are things going for you?

MemberMember
(@inquisitive-lady)

Posted : 07/05/2015 5:30 am

Hi I would like to ask a question? I am 28 y/o. I pick on my skin a lot and all the time creating welts and bad irritation, I only do it around my neck and chin, jawline area. I recently went to the dermatologist to consult her over my dramatic hair loss over the past year and she suggested I take aldactone, she sent me for blood test and performed a scalp biopsy on me. She said I must return upon receiving the results to determine how I should be treated for my issues. I have been reading a lot about aldactone and I am not sure it is the right thing for me. Although I have mentioned I have acne around my chin, jawline and neck this is exacerbated and made worse by my constant picking habit. (I pretty much create welts out of nothing) my hairloss might be the result of dramatic weight loss over the past year (about 14 kilos) I have just been reading about spirolactone and its side effects and would not like to experience them unnecessarily. Is there any blood test that can determine accurately whether this drug is the absolutely necessary course of treatment? Are there any alternatives to it. I just want to make sure that it is absolutely what I need before I start it as the last thing I want at my age is to have irregular periods and all the other side effects. Please help!!!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/05/2015 8:10 am

Hi I would like to ask a question? I am 28 y/o. I pick on my skin a lot and all the time creating welts and bad irritation, I only do it around my neck and chin, jawline area. I recently went to the dermatologist to consult her over my dramatic hair loss over the past year and she suggested I take aldactone, she sent me for blood test and performed a scalp biopsy on me. She said I must return upon receiving the results to determine how I should be treated for my issues. I have been reading a lot about aldactone and I am not sure it is the right thing for me. Although I have mentioned I have acne around my chin, jawline and neck this is exacerbated and made worse by my constant picking habit. (I pretty much create welts out of nothing) my hairloss might be the result of dramatic weight loss over the past year (about 14 kilos) I have just been reading about spirolactone and its side effects and would not like to experience them unnecessarily. Is there any blood test that can determine accurately whether this drug is the absolutely necessary course of treatment? Are there any alternatives to it. I just want to make sure that it is absolutely what I need before I start it as the last thing I want at my age is to have irregular periods and all the other side effects. Please help!!!

Check out the Hormonal acne forum for suggestions. Severe hairloss could be a sign that your body is lacking nutrients, especially since you lost 14 kilos. First of all, you need to nourish your body to regain lost nutrients.

Your acne might not even be hormonal, it could be the result of poor nutrition (like the hairloss), so I suggest a healthy diet above everything.

MemberMember
(@vancouvermoon)

Posted : 07/07/2015 11:26 pm

I don't have any side effects from the spiro. Except my cup size went up, which I'm not thrilled about. (It's not a problem or anything. Just went up from b to c, but I liked them just fine!)

MemberMember
(@hiimedwin)

Posted : 07/14/2015 8:57 am

This site is like that one friend you can tell anything to. I don't talk to anyone about my skin - except people here and my derm.

I'm on here almost every night because although I'm clear now (spiro 100 and Tactupump), I know I still would h e acne if not for these meds and products.

So, I still feel part of te community and like I want to try to help someone if I can.

How are things going for you?

I'm not seeing any improvements. Hating life...