Notifications
Clear all

Panicking! Can't Tell If Bed Bug Bites Or Pimples

MemberMember
(@coolcucumber91)

Posted : 06/15/2015 6:14 pm

Okay so I have a lot of chest acne. Most of them are colorless cysts but it's not uncommon to see red pimples.

I've stayed in NYC 2 weeks ago and stayed at a place with a high turnover rate (air bnb). I did wake up and see something on my chest, but it was a) moving/ had wings? b) was way too big, probably bigger than a quarter c) too slow, lights were on, and I just slapped it away. Didn't help with my bed bugs worrying.

2 weeks later after I arrived back home, I've gotten a bunch of chest pimple-like things, but I cannot tell if it's bed bugs bites or not. It does NOT itch at all, but it is in clusters, but honestly my pimples are usually in clusters on my chest. Only thing that is bothering me is that I have a mark right underneath my sternum (or upper abdomen) and I don't think I've ever got a pimple there.

I've noticed this yesterday morning. I went to take a nap on my bed in the afternoon, and that late night, I noticed 1 or 2 new red marks! But I don't know if maybe I'm just having a breakout or not.

Things to note: a) I sleep with no shirt, usually on my side b) no marks on any other part of my body that isn't acne prone c) have not seen a bed bug. No blood marks or shellings. Checked my mattress and saw nothing. Underneath my bed is really dusty/ dirty tho.

Thoughts? Just worrying bc I know bed bugs are hard to spot.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/16/2015 11:03 am

It doesn't sound like bed bugs - and the bug you saw on your chest in NY was likely a cockroach (really gross but at least they don't suck your blood!). Unless you have a cockroach allergy (which usually manifests itself as respiratory distress, not really skin rashes but I am no doctor), the two don't sound correlated.

Also, if you don't have red marks on other parts of your body, that might be a ding for bedbugs as well, but then again they might bite that area because you don't wear a shirt. Did you look in the creases of your mattress and under your mattress? They sometimes hide there. To be on the safe side, I would wash all of your clothes, your sheets and blankets in HOT water, and put your suitcase outside. It sounds more like a breakout than anything, but better safe than sorry!

MemberMember
(@coolcucumber91)

Posted : 06/16/2015 11:26 am

It doesn't sound like bed bugs - and the bug you saw on your chest in NY was likely a cockroach (really gross but at least they don't suck your blood!). Unless you have a cockroach allergy (which usually manifests itself as respiratory distress, not really skin rashes but I am no doctor), the two don't sound correlated.

Also, if you don't have red marks on other parts of your body, that might be a ding for bedbugs as well, but then again they might bite that area because you don't wear a shirt. Did you look in the creases of your mattress and under your mattress? They sometimes hide there. To be on the safe side, I would wash all of your clothes, your sheets and blankets in HOT water, and put your suitcase outside. It sounds more like a breakout than anything, but better safe than sorry!

See I took out all my clothes and put it in my laundry basket and also had my bookbag from the trip lying in my apartment for 2 hours ish before I bagged them both. Washed the clothes and kept the bookbag in my car sealed for a few days in the heat. But I'm nervous in those 2 hours, one could've easily crawled out, you know?

I checked my bed post, unzipped the mattress and checked inside, and checked my sofa. Still nothing. My brother is thinking I'm paranoid lol.

Got another reddish mark under my sternum, but doesn't really look like a pimple like the others. Really flat,doesn't itch. Still no marks on my legs, arms, or face, and I wear only my boxers to sleep. Maybe I'm paranoid and the stress is causing inflammation? Lol

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 06/16/2015 11:50 am

Yes - actually, you could be giving yourself hives over the stress of it! You've done everything you can do at this point and you still haven't found any evidence of bed bugs. Also, if your brother isn't experiencing any bites (does he live in your house with you?) then it's definitely not bed bugs. I say no, not bed bugs. Very likely a breakout. Travel can be a breakout trigger for a lot of people. Treat it with your normal acne routine and see if it helps. If it gets worse or you notice spots in weird areas, go to the doctor to check it out.

MemberMember
(@coolcucumber91)

Posted : 06/20/2015 7:39 pm

Yes - actually, you could be giving yourself hives over the stress of it! You've done everything you can do at this point and you still haven't found any evidence of bed bugs. Also, if your brother isn't experiencing any bites (does he live in your house with you?) then it's definitely not bed bugs. I say no, not bed bugs. Very likely a breakout. Travel can be a breakout trigger for a lot of people. Treat it with your normal acne routine and see if it helps. If it gets worse or you notice spots in weird areas, go to the doctor to check it out.

My brother lives with me and has no bites or anything. His mattress--nothing either. Both my friends that were with me on my trip didn't report anything abnormal, although I'm not sure they're aware about bed bugs and signs. No bites from either of them.

I still worry.. I got a cluster of small pimples that can be confused as bites on my shoulder and back. The newest ones have whiteheads. I did exercise for the first time in a while 2 days ago. It's a pretty huge cluster that would indicate a lot of bed bugs, but I checked everything all over again and I didn't see any blood, live bugs, or cast shells.

What was weird of I actually had a red mark on my hand with a lot of peeling dry skin. And on my other hand on my finger, dry skin as well. I work in a lab and wear gloves, but I was handling some hazardous chemicals and when I took out my glove, there were scabs. I think most likely slight burns, but since the scabs are in 3s, I got scared again!

Tell me I'm being paranoid and stress is just causing all this!!!