Notifications
Clear all

Clear Skin V. Health

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 06/02/2015 3:28 pm

Hi everyone! I've been thinking a lot about this recently: how much health would I sacrifice to have perfectly clear skin?

We all know that a lot of acne treatments have side effects but yet take them anyway, suggesting that our want for clear skin makes us willing to risk gaining a problem elsewhere. Personally, I am so desperate for clear skin that I would take absolutely anything to get rid of my acne. I've been on antibiotics, BP, birth control, medication bought off the internet, high doses of Vitamin A, currently taking megadoses of Vitamin B5, and when I was offered Accutane I pretty much bit my doctor's hand off, without a care for the very serious side effects that came along with it.

But I also see a lot of posts from people who refuse to take Accutane and the rest, and wonder whether it's because they're just not desperate enough for clear skin, or if I'm not responsible enough when it comes to ruining the rest of my body.

What do you think? Very interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/02/2015 6:59 pm

Hi Ellie. I've been where you are. I've gone to the ends of the earth to get clear skin and here I am at almost 32 with moderate acne. I did 3 courses of accutane and a gamut of topicals, antibiotics, diet changes, etc to no avail. It's frankly very depressing. I also have pre diabetes which I think has been brought on early by accutane and bad lifestyle changes. I am now seeing a naturopath who has gotten my sugars in normal range but hasn't been able to put a dent in my acne. I honestly think I'm going to die with this disease.

I am considering spiro if things don't improve in a few months, knowing that it has side effects.

In regards to your original question, I think acne blinds us to the long term picture but no one can judge. I say if you haven't tried the natural way first, give it a shot - you may be one of the lucky one to solve your problems.

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 06/07/2015 11:51 am

Hi, yep I think I'd agree. When my skin is bad I would trade anything for it to be clear, but i'm sure if I had serious health problems I'd feel differently!

I've been taking large doses of Vitamin B5 for just over 3 months, after doing A LOT of research and knowing fully about the risks and side effects. But, fingers crossed, I think it's working! I have barely any spots for the past month despite 10 years of waking up everyday to new ones! I'm always scared of getting my hopes up with new treatments but I feel like this could be a really good one for me, and right now I don't care about any side effects! I'd take this forever if it works!

I really hope you find something that works for you! :)