Notifications
Clear all

Need Support And Advice

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 05/17/2015 9:34 am

My skin was clear for years and years but in the past month it has gotten worse and worse. This morning I woke up with red inflamed pustules on my cheeks and chin. Looks horrid. Looks like I'm a teenager. I'm really very sad and depressed.

I made some small changes with diet. About 6 weeks ago my doctor recommended I eat 2 brazil nuts/day and iodized salt because of borderline low thyroid. About 3 weeks ago my skin started breaking out more and more.

I thought it was nerves because I was going on a cruise. My skin went bonkers while on the cruise (about 10 days ago) so I stopped eating the nuts. My skin got a little bit better. However, I thought the flare-up was due to stress from traveling so last week I started eating the brazil nuts again (because I want to help my thyroid issue). Each day I've gotten a few more breakouts. I stopped eating the nuts yesterday but woke up this morning with red inflamed pustules all over my cheeks and chin. I look terrible!

Could the addition of 2 brazil nuts a day, really cause such a sudden reaction? I thought brazil nuts were supposed to be good for skin.

I'm so worried this is not due to the brazil nuts but instead because my skin is returning to how it was years ago. Back then nothing worked but full strength antibiotics and I couldn't do that all the time so in-between I had horrid cystic acne. I'm too old for this (64). I've battled acne my whole adult life. I've watched my own kids outgrow acne (in their 30's) and watched my nieces and nephews go from acne to clear skin in their 20's. But I've never gotten over acne...except recently with a very strict diet and treatment regime.

And now I am facing this breakout and not handling it well at all. My son is getting married in a couple of months and I can not look like this. It is too embarrassing. What am I going to do?

I am hoping and praying this is just because of the brazil nuts...but it's very hard to imagine 2 small nuts a day causing such havoc.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/17/2015 2:35 pm

Cvd, I am so sorry that you're going through this. You are such a helpful member of the board and you're always willing to lend an ear or give advice. Our bodies are so unique and so delicate that even the slightest change can throw things out of balance. The nuts seem to be a possible trigger so cut it out for a month. Also, I read that you recently stopped antibiotics so that could be a trigger as well. I don't know the reason you're going through this but stay strong. Have you ever thought of seekers no the help of a naturopath?

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 05/18/2015 8:42 pm

Thanks so much for your help! Years ago I saw a naturopath and it was helpful. Actually my GP is into "functional medicine" and endorses alternative methods so part of my treatment was getting all kinds of tests to determine hormone, cortisol, adrenal levels, allergies, etc. It helped get things started and got me on the diet I'm on now. Which actually includes not eating nuts but the PA on staff wanted me to eat the brazil nuts to boost thyroid function so I was doing that...and I got a reaction!

I stopped eating the brazil nuts two days ago and my skin is looking MUCH better. I've suffered from such horrid skin for much of my life that when I get flare-ups I go into some kind of PTSD response and fear the worst. I literally freak out. But as I said, my skin is recovering very nicely. I am so relieved.

Thanks!