Notifications
Clear all

Alternatives To Antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@hidinginthefringe)

Posted : 04/29/2015 9:17 pm

I've had really bad acne starting in elementary school. It wasn't that bad at first, a zit here and there, but it progressively got worse and two years ago my face became covered in acne. I have no idea what triggered it, because beforehand my acne was limited to my chin and forehead. Recently it's expanded to my back, chest, cheeks, everywhere basically.

My doctor prescribed antibiotics for me, which worked. All last year I was completely acne free. However, I didn't want to be dependent on antibiotics and I've heard of the long term damage, so I slowly discontinued it. I was hoping I'd be in the small minority to never have acne again, but I'm back to acne covered face.

I am kinda confused about the whole thing, actually. I admit, my diet and lifestyle probably aren't the best, but the fact that the antibiotics helped my acne meant it was some sort of infection, right? Or not? Either way, is there an alternative that's equally beneficially without the side effects? I've considered accutane but decided its negatives outweigh the positives.

MemberMember
(@nicoblossom)

Posted : 05/27/2015 4:22 pm

Have you done any research on natural antibiotics? I don't have a lot of experience with this, but it could be worth looking into. I've heard garlic and oregano oil are good. Just a thought.

I'm currently on antibiotics, it's only my first week but I'm not crazy about the idea of being on them long term so I'm searching for a natural solution.

MemberMember
(@99acneproblems)

Posted : 05/27/2015 4:37 pm

My brother used accutane and it dried out his face so bad. I agree with your stance on the prescription. I always recommend drinking a ton of water, it helps to hydrate your skin. Stay away from preservatives, eat as healthy as possible. Dont forget to wash your face before bed and if you have long hair be sure to tie it back, so it doesnt get in your face while you sleep. Last but not least try to wash your pillowcase every 2-3 days to keep it from building up bacteria (which causes acne), I hear your pillowcase has just as much bacteria as a toilet seat. I have also been using Lush's Ocean Salt scrub to exfoliate, but be gentle on your face its just meant to wash away any dead skin not rid your acne. let me know if that helps !