Notifications
Clear all

Punch Excision

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 04/24/2015 3:16 pm

Hello!

I had my first punch excision today. It is so hard to find information on the net (especially before and after photos) so I promise to provide updates as things progress.

I was very worried about having this done so while I have a few scars that are good candidates for punch excision, I decided to do a small one to start. If I like the results, I'll do a few more over the next few months.

Ok, so the scar is in the middle of the cheek bone area, closer to the centre of the face (vs. the side). The plastic surgeon used a 2mm punch, stiched it with one 6.0 nylon thread and put a steri strip on top. I get the stitch out in 7 days...I know some say 5 days but he was fine with the timing. For the next week, I wear the steri-strip and do nothing else. When the stitch comes out I can start applying a scar cream.

The whole thing took about 10 minutes tops and I didn't feel a thing...not even the numbing needle.

The punch cost me $350 + tax. Expensive but I wanted to pay the extra money for a PS vs. a derm. (I had a bad experience with a derm so it's kind of scared me off). The PS I went to was lovely. He really listened to me. (I've been to a lot of PS and there are some real jerks out there). He also didn't pressure me to do anything even though the time was booked for the procedure.

Stay tuned...fingers crossed this works out. The PS was quite confident that I'd be happy. :)

PS. I'm in Toronto.

Ang22 liked
MemberMember
(@ang22)

Posted : 04/24/2015 3:24 pm

Thanks for posting this info! I look forward to hearing how your scar heals. A derm surgeon recommended excision for me but I would like to get a second opinion first. Hope this works great and you are happy with your results!

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 04/24/2015 10:08 pm

$350 for one punch?

What kind of scarring do you have? Pics?

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 04/24/2015 11:45 pm

if u can afford the treatment, i wish u could share picture. it really does alot of justice for these procedures

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 04/25/2015 5:27 am

$350 for one punch?

What kind of scarring do you have? Pics?

Yes, $350. Bloody expensive, eh? Not totally out of whack though. The Derm surgeon I saw wanted $250 per punch. But as I said in my first post, I'm more comfortable with a PS.

I've got 4 boxcars on my cheeks...they're roundish and the biggest one is probably 3mm. Not my only scars but definitely the most noticeable.

I will post pics...before and after. Just feeling lazy at the moment. Plus, my stich doesn't come off until next week.

if u can afford the treatment, i wish u could share picture. it really does alot of justice for these procedures

I will post pictures. I promise.

The scar I did yesterday is the smallest (and most people wouldn't have bothered doing anything about it TBH) but I wanted to do it to see how my skin heals. Not sure I have a great before pic of this one but I'll post what I have. I will also continue to post when I get the bigger ones done.

I know how important the results are to everyone on this site. Hopefully I can be a good news story.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 04/30/2015 5:54 pm

Stitch comes out tomorrow! I've changed the steri-strip a few times already. It's hard to tell how things are going to turn it at this point.

Here's the best before pic I could find. The scar I had excised is the smaller one of the two in the middle of my cheek. Again, if this turns it well, I plan to do a few larger ones on my other cheek.

post-211650-0-31526900-1430434428_thumb.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 05/04/2015 9:21 pm

Stitch came out on Friday. Doctor wants me to keep a steri-strip on for another week. I did it for a few days but had to go back to work today so now I'm down to just doing it at night; with some Polysporin.

I will post a pic in a few days but so far I'm happy. I've got to be honest, it's going to be really hard to replicate the same lighting as my befote pic since I don't work at that office anymore. I'll do my best.

Anyhow, there is a stitch mark which I'm hoping will heal (doc says it will) and some swelling but otherwise I see no trace of my old scar. If it stays like this, I'll def do the bigger scars on my other cheek.

I go back to see the doc again in 3 weeks. I'm really impressed with the level of care I'm getting. And it doesn't hurt that the doctor is nice looking either!

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 05/05/2015 7:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your journey with us! I think you responded to one of my posts a while back and I haven't been on here again until recently. I had a bigger scar otherwise I would have opted for a punch excision as well. It's also in the middle of my cheek. Thanks for keeping us updated. I don't think I've ever seen a closeup of an after photo of a punch excision on any doctor's website. Glad you are happy with how things are progressing

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 05/19/2015 3:41 pm

So here's an update...sorry for the delay.

It's been over 3 weeks since my excision and as of right now, I think it's a failure :(

The scar looks about the same size, only red, deeper (not sure if that's because of the color) and more symetrical (because of the punch).

I go see the PS again on Friday so we'll see what he says but I highly doubt I'll see any serious filling in from here on in.

I'm very disappointed to say the least.

I'll provide another update after my appt on Friday.

MemberMember
(@hope01)

Posted : 05/19/2015 5:05 pm

It's been over 3 weeks since my excision and as of right now, I think it's a failure :(

The scar looks about the same size, only red, deeper (not sure if that's because of the color) and more symetrical (because of the punch).

I go see the PS again on Friday so we'll see what he says but I highly doubt I'll see any serious filling in from here on in.

fresh start please dont fell despondent. its possible that from the sounds of things that it failed but do like into excision with a scalpel as opposed to a punch it isnt designed for the face. I am quite surprised that you went to a ps and he did a punch he should have used a scalpel another thing is did the ps use a double layer stitch. If i were you i would chose a different ps but choose someone that will firstly use a scalpel can show you some before and afters and will use a double stitch. Good luck with regrards to the current punch excision you had wait about a year before you get that excised.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 05/19/2015 9:12 pm

fresh start please dont fell despondent. its possible that from the sounds of things that it failed but do like into excision with a scalpel as opposed to a punch it isnt designed for the face. I am quite surprised that you went to a ps and he did a punch he should have used a scalpel another thing is did the ps use a double layer stitch. If i were you i would chose a different ps but choose someone that will firstly use a scalpel can show you some before and afters and will use a double stitch. Good luck with regrards to the current punch excision you had wait about a year before you get that excised.

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to stay positive but it's so hard. I've been told by a few PS that the scar is too small for an inside stitch but I will def ask about a scalpel excision. Thanks again.

MemberMember
(@hope01)

Posted : 05/20/2015 2:29 am

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to stay positive but it's so hard. I've been told by a few PS that the scar is too small for an inside stitch but I will def ask about a scalpel excision. Thanks again.

Insist on a inside stitch and with a scalpel ye it's very much possible It's to small to do it on so they may have to cut a slightly larger area out. The scalpel with a double stitch is the only way forward.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 05/22/2015 10:27 am

I went back to the PS today. He agreed that the excision failed and gave me 2 options: leave it for awhile to see if it gets any better (he didn't feel like it would) or re-excise/re-stitch. I went with the latter.

So here I am with stitches in my face again. He didn't make the scar any bigger (just cut out the core) but he did two stitches this time to ensure it wouldn't come apart.

My husband is upset that I would take this risk again. He figures I should have cut my losses but he doesn't understand how I feel. A natural looking scar is one thing but a perfectly round hole? No way...looks terrible.

Fingers crossed it works out better this time! I really hope I don't live to regret this.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 05/27/2015 8:17 am

Stitches come out in 2 days time. I've been a lot more careful this time around. Last time I kept changing the steri-strips starting about 3 days post. I can't help but wonder if that's what caused the punch to open? Anyhow, this time I'm only going to change the steri strip once (today...5 days post) and that's only because the original one is looking really nasty. Here's a pic of how it looks right now. It looks a lot worse in the pic for some reason. Maybe it's all the dried blood?

post-211650-0-73064100-1432732613_thumb.

MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 05/29/2015 1:54 am

Thanks for updating us! I remember being scared I changed the steri strips too early/too much too. I don't think it causes any damage but definitely good to be careful and cautious. It is looking good, so glad the doctor was supportive.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 05/29/2015 11:27 am

Stitches came out today and it is looking really good!

The doc did say that punches occasionally don't work out for no known reason but I'm still convinced that I touched it too much the first time. I don't know for sure. All I know is that this time, things are looking much better.

I have a steri-strip right now and it'll stay until at least Sunday afternoon. Then I'll take a pic and post it.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 06/02/2015 10:07 am

Here are pics from Sunday when I took the steri strip off.

The hole is gone and I can't really see the excision line. I can see the stitch marks but I'm told it will get better.

In certain lighting, the entire area around both stitch marks looks raised which makes the scar look depressed (but no where near as bad looking). One side in particular is really raised. I'm hoping its a small pimple due to the bandage/Polysporin...think you can see it in the pics. I suppose it's all still swollen right now.

More improvement to come, I hope!

post-211650-0-09999500-1433257759_thumb.

post-211650-0-14401600-1433257770_thumb.

post-211650-0-83655600-1433257784_thumb.

You liked
MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 06/05/2015 1:45 pm

I'm feeling really down at the moment. I'm one week out from stitch removal. There is no hole, thankfully. However, the entire area looks quite depressed and/or the ends of my incision are very bumpy. The whole thing looks gross IMO. Any one have any advice?

post-211650-0-03592000-1433529863.jpg

Anish004 liked
MemberMember
(@limeyman)

Posted : 06/06/2015 4:13 am

you could look into fillers that can raise the scar

MemberMember
(@dazarooni)

Posted : 06/06/2015 8:37 am

The thing about an excision is that you're basically replacing a larger, more noticeable scar with a smaller linear scar. For optimal results it's best to blend the remaining scar in some 2-3 months after with something like dermasanding.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 06/06/2015 12:58 pm

The thing about an excision is that you're basically replacing a larger, more noticeable scar with a smaller linear scar. For optimal results it's best to blend the remaining scar in some 2-3 months after with something like dermasanding.

Yes, I'm prepared for that if needed. However, right now my main concern is the raised areas I see beyond the scar itself. I'm wondering if it could still be swelling at 2 weeks post and if it will come down at all.

MemberMember
(@hope01)

Posted : 08/15/2015 6:10 pm

Yes, I'm prepared for that if needed. However, right now my main concern is the raised areas I see beyond the scar itself. I'm wondering if it could still be swelling at 2 weeks post and if it will come down at all.

how are the results know?

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 08/15/2015 6:24 pm

how are the results know?

Things got better but I still wasn't happy with the result. Neither was the PS tbh. The cheek is a risky place for punch because it's a convex area. I took a chance but it didn't work out. I had some Belotero injected a week or so ago and it looks a lot better now. Not perfect but I think that's because the punch is still healing. The older, shallow scars on my other cheek look amazing with the filler so I'm Glad I didn't get them all excised. Now, it's almost like they were never there. I'm sure 99/100 people wouldn't see them now.

MemberMember
(@freshstart2014)

Posted : 03/02/2016 3:01 pm

Just wanted to provide an update.  It's been about 9 months since the punch excision and it is the biggest mistake I've ever made.  I turned a small scar into an unsightly mark on my face. It looks like hole with a dark shadow. 
I had Belotero put in 4 times but it just seems to emphasize the scar instead of filling it in.  I'm convinced I can see the filler in some lighting.  I'm actually have it removed on Monday because I can't stand the shadowing that I think it creates.
The PS has been very nice about things; doing the filler for free.  I still feel a bit duped though.  When I went for my first consultation I asked a million questions, including the % chance that the procedure would be a success.  He said 90% so I figured the chances were good.  I even brought my husband to be the voice of reason!  After the fact, when things didn't work out, he tells me that it's a tricky part of the face, etc, etc.  I will always wonder why he failed to mention that at the consultation.  I don't think he's money hungry...this procedure is a drop in the bucket for him compared to boob jobs and tummy tucks.
It's been a very difficult journey, especially with the BDD I suffer from.  I cry about it constantly.  Sometimes I really hate myself for having done something so stupid.  Other times, I'm a bit gentler, reminding myself that looks aren't everything...in fact, they're nothing.  That's just the nature of this disease.  :(
Anyhow, if you're considering punch excision, I would think twice...especially on the cheeks.  You might be one of the lucky ones...but you might not.  Can you live with that?
Good luck to all of you!

MemberMember
(@somethingsomethingagain)

Posted : 03/02/2016 3:19 pm

I'll just say that your skin has great texture regardless of that minor imperfection. It's cliche but we are our worst critics, no doubt about that, and while I' not trying to undervalue your pain, you still have a beautiful skin!