Notifications
Clear all

Starting 1540Nm Icon Laser Treatment For Acne Tomorrow

MemberMember
(@ridscars)

Posted : 04/14/2015 5:36 pm

Hi, I'm a long time reader, first time poster. To start with I am indian coloured with quite fair skin. I had a bad acne flair up aged around 25 (I think it was stress, maybe diet related) and was given a course of roaccutane. If memory serves me right they started me on a lower dosage of around 30 and this was then increased to 60. It worked brilliantly...I barely had any of the reported side effects apart from dry skin which if anyone is interested I managed with apaderm (hospital gave me this) to wash my face, and aveeno daily moisturising lotion (oatmeal - can get from boots) to moisturise. On my lips I used blistex med plus lip balm (small blue tub - can get from boots). I found with this combination I was able to manage the dryness really well.

It's been around 2 years 2 months since I finished the course of roaccutane and Iv managed to stay acne free. I may get a few odd spots now and then, but I wouldn't really call them acne, more just light inflammation/redness bumps that go within a night. I have some mild scaring on my cheeks, jaw and temples left from the acne, which I can cover up with make up and is not that noticeable - well at least that's what my friends say. However to me I am very paranoid about the scaring, and when I go out its always in the back of my mind. So after a lot of thought and research and nearly one year of contemplating Iv decided to do something about it. I went and saw a dermatologist in London at the Phi clinic and was told my scaring is mild-moderate but they can definitely help. I was given a treatment plan - I session of enerjet then a month later 2-4 sessions of 1540nm ICON laser and finally after 4 sessions if the improvement was not significant, they may consider a fractional CO2 or Erbium laser treatment.

I went away and did my research on each of the treatments. Enerjet used to be called airgent, so anyone researching this treatment be sure to search both names. I decided against the enerjet for 2 reasons - it's a filler, and a lot of people who have had the treatment complain about fuller and bigger faces meaning people can often tell they have had a cosmetic procedure done on their face. Secondly it's not permanent and will require yearly top ups. Other then that I couldn't find anything wrong with this treatment and the before and after photos looked good. For me personally this was enough to put me off but I'm sure for a lot of people this wouldn't be an issue. I then researched the icon 1540 laser treatement. There are not many reviews about this treatment however from the ones I found they were fairly mixed. Some people have had great results but a few people have reported horror stories of fat loss in their face. After doing a lot of research on what's out there iv decided to give the icon 1540 a go. I don't really want to try chemical peels, dermarolling, etc, and this laser does seem a lot better then the co2 lasers which requires a lot of downtime.

As I haven't found many reviews on this laser I will post my progress on here, as these sites have been a godsend for me. Tomorrow Is my first treatment so il take some before and after pics and post on here in the next few days. Il also keep this updated for the duration of my treatment and I hope it helps :)

Anyone whose had the icon 1540 laser done it would be great if you could share your experiences. I'm especially interested to hear from people where it's been over a year since last treatment to see how your doing now.

Cross your fingers for me, I'm pretty scared!

MemberMember
(@imad)

Posted : 04/15/2015 3:29 am

interested in ur results to, i have light brown indian skin to, my i have some pretty big scars rolling, ice pick,box card all of them, i have done 2 tca cross, and done some needling myself and it seems to help.
I also have been to a derm and get suggested that, duel fraxel 1550 @ 500 microns and 300 microns on the temples would be helpfull and finesh it off with some fillers

MemberMember
(@ray96)

Posted : 07/31/2015 5:37 am

Hi, is there any update on your progress? I am interested because I am having a very similar treatment at the same clinic! I think I have a similar skintone to you, as well as similar scarring on my cheek. Have had 4 sessions of Icon so far (April 2015-present) and have seen some very small improvements to boxcar scarring i.e. some of the scars are starting to fill in. There is a long way to go yet though. It is so hard to tell if things are improving as you see your face every day so the gradual improvements are almost unnoticeable. Pics are the best way to document but I hate taking pictures of my scars! How is it going for you? Do you have any before/after pics? I'd be really interested in your progress, particularly as it seems we started around the same time!

MemberMember
(@i-mad)

Posted : 07/31/2015 10:00 pm

hey yeah ive had it for 35 days now i think, it was worth it, smoother and improved them, still have some post hyperpigmentation but its going away quickily