Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Cause Hairloss?

MemberMember
(@kowal01)

Posted : 03/05/2015 7:01 am

Welcome.

My problems with hairloss started about 3 years ago, Some months ago I started getting accutane (axotret) with finasteride to stay hair on my head. Everything was going good, my hairloss just stopped and I was happy. But by now my doc let's me eat 40mg, hairloss problems attacked again. And it's not just one hair by 1 hour, when I rub my hair, I'm just loosing from 4 to 10 hairs. What should I do? I saw some topics here with same problem, but I think I can't stop taking accutane. Acne is just horrible, but I dunno if worst.

Sorry for english, I hope you understant my post, if not, just ask, I will explain.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 03/05/2015 12:57 pm

we understand, your English is just fine

so low dose Accutane for a longer period of time might be the path for you....you'll have to be on it longer, but talk to your doctor about staying on the lower dose, was it 20mg?

MemberMember
(@robert1000)

Posted : 05/24/2015 2:58 pm

Accutane may cause you permanent hairloss, no matter how low it's the dosage.

It's your choice...live with acne and treat it with other products...or risk your hair.

MemberMember
(@clarityplease)

Posted : 05/25/2015 9:57 pm

The side effects are very individual.

I was experiencing hair loss prior to isotretinoin. I'm now on 80mg/week (20mg 4/7 days) and my hair loss has slowed down significantly...I suspect this is because I am washing it much less.

My advice is investigate the root cause of your hairloss. If it was falling out before isotretinoin treatment then there is some factor that needs to be identified (i.e. nutritional deficiency). Seek further opinions and always question your treatment. You know what is best for you. If you are seeing results on 40mg I would suggest halving your dose and assessing the outcome.

Good luck