Notifications
Clear all

New Member! Started Absorica (Isotretinoin) 2 Days Ago And I Have Questions!

MemberMember
(@molarbear29)

Posted : 02/21/2015 4:33 pm

Hey Everyone!

I can't believe I discovered this forum only so recently. It's been so informative I'm looking forward to documenting my progress on here.

Background - I've had *crystal clear* skin up until I was 19 years old. Everyone in my family has good skin and I was one of them. I don't know what happened but I just started to get bad breakouts when I was in college. Like my acne wasn't too bad, but it was aggressive. It was localized to my chin, and then two years ago (I'm 22 now) it started to scar my cheeks. So of course I've tried all the topicals, oral antibiotics, organic products and altered my diet and lifestyle. Absolutely nothing worked. And of course, as time went on it developed pretty badly. I mean my face right now is the 50 shades of red (and brown).

I changed my dermatologist recently and after 3 and a half years of battling acne and it's respective, unwanted scarring, she said I needed to go on Accutane. I'm currently doing chemical peels at the moment to help with the scarring.

Current - So I just started my prescription and I'm on day 3 of Absorica. I'm a 148 lb female and I'm on 80 mg/day (two 40mg pills a day). My question to those who've started/done Absorica: how long have you been on it? The reason I ask is because my dermatologist's prescription said I'll be on 80 mg/day for 3 months. Will I be on the drug for only 3 months because my dosage is high? Or will I be on it for a standard 5-6 months? I feel like 80 mg/day is high so maybe I'll only be on it for 3 months? I have no idea.

I should probably call and ask her for my curiosity, but her office is closed for the next 4 days. Just wanted to know if anyone on here had insight!

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 02/26/2015 11:06 am

The dose is pretty high, but taking it for 3 months would make sense with Absorbica. It seems like that medication is quite a bit more effective than other brands (I took Claravis). Therefore the amount actually being absorbed may be the same as someone who took 6 months of another I'm not positive though, just a thought!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 02/26/2015 11:26 am

I agree

that does seem like a high dose therefore shorter duration of time you would be on it

If you can tolerate that dose (dry skin/lips etc) I would try and stay on it and get the course over with!

GLLLL!

if u start having difficult side effects could always decrease your dose just a little and add an extra mnth or 2

kim