Notifications
Clear all

Does Stopping Smoking Help To Get Rid Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@green-oms)

Posted : 02/17/2015 2:11 pm

hello everyone,

i was a heavy smoker and 12 days ago i reduced it 2,3 cigarettes a day. since then i have not got painful acne. my acne is hormonal and have pcos, although my testosteron level seems normal on the blood test. but i cannot rely on the blood tests. i read some researches on the internet about how smoking raise free testosteron and reduce estrogen. so i decided to stop smoking with the big hope that it can solve the problem. is there anyone who got rid of acne by simply stopping smoking? i would appriciate your experiences.

MemberMember
(@mandarine)

Posted : 02/17/2015 2:57 pm

To stop smoking can only make your skin better, I swear!

Be brave, it's not easy, but it's worth it. Really.

green oms liked
MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 02/17/2015 6:57 pm

First off congratulations on cutting back :3. I've been smoking myself for... 7 years now? I guess I'm more of a social smoker, I used to smoke a lot more (almost half a pack a day) but I currently only feel the need to have 1 cigarette a day if I'm not going out and doing anything... if I am going out or if I'm drinking I tend to smoke more though lol. In terms of how it will effect your skin it will definitely help with ageing to not smoke lol that one seems pretty self explanatory but to my recollection I don't recall my acne clearing up more when I quit for a year in the past. It can only do good for your health to quit though, right? It is a lot easier said then done though... I really shouldn't be smoking as I'm currently on birth control but with most of my friends being smokers (I'm 21) it makes things a bit more difficult.

Oh random but I do know that smoking can inhibit vitamin C absorption which can effect estrogen levels, I think it's most effective for you to take it before you go to bed though if you're a smoker.

green oms liked
MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/17/2015 9:11 pm

also, PCOS can be treated with birth control pills, but a doctor won't want to prescribe you those if you smoke because of an elevated risk of blood clots.

green oms liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 02/18/2015 8:51 am

moved to general acne discussion forum

MemberMember
(@green-oms)

Posted : 02/18/2015 12:52 pm

also, PCOS can be treated with birth control pills, but a doctor won't want to prescribe you those if you smoke because of an elevated risk of blood clots.

i have used diana 35 in the past but when the reports released about blood clot i discontinued it. diana cleared my face completely. i am now scared of using any birth control pills because of blood clot. is there any safe birth control acne pills without side affect of blood clot????? i have panic attack so if i use a birth control pill i need to be sure there is no blood clot risk even if it is low risk. otherwise i may get paranoid while i use it.

i am still witing to hear more stories about smoking and hormonal acne correlation guys. thank you.

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 02/18/2015 2:07 pm

To my knowledge you're less likely to experience blood clotting on birth control pills with lower levels of estrogen such as Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, unfortunately, they're less likely to help with acne then :/ kind of a bit of a trade off. If you're really worried about blood clots the best thing you can do is not smoke really but again that's a lot easier said then done lol.

Oh a good link to check out if you're considering going on birth control to help your acne though.

I'm currently taking Marvelon myself but plan to swicth to Ortho Cyclen soon, I don't think my acne is too hormonal though as I've seen no improvement from taking birth control pills myself. Also I'm sorry I don't have too much knowledge on PCOS :( what exactly are your hormone levels like?

green oms liked
MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/18/2015 2:44 pm

It's always a low risk, honestly, even when the risk is heightened by smoking. I believe you can be tested for the genetic abnormal clotting factor 5, though. If you are concerned.

green oms liked
MemberMember
(@green-oms)

Posted : 02/19/2015 7:27 pm

thank you so much both of you. really helpful information for me. my estradiol level is 184 pg/ml which is seems between normal range. i could not find my testosteron test result but it was also normal.