Notifications
Clear all

Horrible Acne After Stopping Birth Control?

MemberMember
(@joolie567)

Posted : 02/06/2015 9:19 pm

I had been on the pill for over 10 years (I'm 28 now), and I stopped taking it in April 2014. I never had ANY (and I stress, ANY) acne before. My skin was fine at first when I stopped, but starting around August 2014, my skin started getting more oily than normal. I just moved to the south, so I figured it had to do with a change of climate/humidity. Since December 2014 though, I've been breaking out like CRAZY. I wake up with at least 2-3 more bumps each day. My upper back/shoulders have patches of large, red bumps, my forehead has a large patch of nude/slightly red bumps, under/around my nose I have small red bumps, and in my hairline I have red bumps. My chin is the worst though - I have these horrible, large, hard, red, semi-painful bumps that just appear out of nowhere real fast (cystic?), and take WEEKS to start to fade. They never become pop-able, and if I poke them too hard, it hurts a little. They also leave dark red marks once they start going away. I've tried using a pharmacy brand benzyl-peroxide spot treatment, Neutrogena acne body wash, tea tree oil wash, and plain baking soda, but nothing seems to be working.

What's going on??

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/07/2015 6:29 pm

Welcome to the world of hormonal acne. Birth control can worsen or even trigger acne for some women as it purposefully manipulates your hormones. Now that you're off it, your hormones are probably out of sync. Look into hormonal supplements to help balance things out. You may also want to visit a derm for something topical. Check out the hormonal forums as many many women have been through this.