Notifications
Clear all

Cystic Acne Breakouts Even With 100Mg Doxycyline, What Should I Do?

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/25/2015 5:15 am

Ive been on 100mg Doxycycline for almost 2 months now. But I still break out with cystic acne whenever my skin comes in contact with sweat, dirt, bacteria, excess oil etc. I have to avoid going to the gym because the sweat breaks me out the next day.
I was actually initially prescribed 20mg Accutane by my dermatologist but I had to stop taking it after 5 days due to not been able to tolerate the side effects which were depression, mental fog and fatigue.
This is my skin now, keep in mind that my acne can get a lot worse than this:
I have taken 200mg minocycline for 6 months when I was 19 years old and it worked out pretty well. The only thing I dont like about minocycline is that it causes a slight brain fog although it's nothing compared to the brain fog you get from Accutane. But doxycycline doesnt cause any brain fogs for me.
Since 100mg Doxycyline isn't doing enough for me, should I start taking 100mg Doxycycline twice a day or switch to other antibiotics like Minocycline?
Lastly, can I keep taking antibiotics forever or do I have to stop taking it after 6 months? I'm already 24 years old so I doubt I'm going to grow out of my cystic acne anytime soon but I don't want to go on Accutane either. I'm okay with taking antibiotics for the rest of my life.
MemberMember
(@legomom)

Posted : 01/25/2015 5:14 pm

I don't know of another "cure" for cystic acne besides Accutane.

Maybe you could try another brand....I never had brain fog with my treatments.

For this round, (I got extremely oily and had lots of plugged pores on my nose) I'm doing a low dose, long term. 10mgs per day. I just have to take it much much longer, which I'm fine with.

Maybe you could try the ultra low dose and see how it affects you and either stay at 10mgs or slowly increase.

I'd say it was worth a shot for a "cure"!! I never really had anymore cysts, well maybe one or two after pregnancy, but 15 years out and I chose to get back on it for a different kind if acne.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/26/2015 1:17 am

I could try Accutane again, but there are few things that's preventing me from taking Accutane:
  • I have a fairly low Intelligence and a low self-esteem. I'm already 24 years old but I can't even drive and can't handle College. So I can't afford to get anymore dumber. In just 5 days of taking 20mg Accutane, I became depressed and started having memory problems at work which scared me.
  • I have pre-existing health issues. When I turned 21, I developed IBS-C, Impacted Colon, Redundant Colon, Slow Colonic Transit and Rectal Prolapse. After the colonoscopy, the gastroenterologist told me that my colon was abnormally thin and floppy for my age and it was like that of an elderlies. He told me that there was nothing he could do. The only thing I was able to cure was the Rectal prolaspe through surgery.
  • Besides feeling depressed, unwell and having memory problems, Accutane made me so tired to the point that I couldnt run at the gym for very long anymore.

That's why I'd much rather take Antibiotics. I wish I was intelligent and healthy enough to overcome the negative side effects of Accutane, but I'm not.

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/26/2015 10:06 pm

I've made an appointment with the doctor. I'm going to ask him if I should bump up to 150mg Doxy or take lower dose like 50mg twice a day, morning and night. Or if I should ditch Doxy and switch to other Tetracyclines.

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/27/2015 9:47 pm

The doctor said he genereally doesn't want to go beyond 100mg Doxycycline so I was recommended to switch to 50mg Minocycline twice a day. I had to take a blood test beforehand which was new to me since when I was 19, I believe I took 200mg Minocycline for 6 months and I never had to take the blood test once.

I just realised that I probably should have asked for 50mg Doxycyline twice a day. Because I don't like the brain fog I get from Minocycline. Dang it.