Notifications
Clear all

Sever Acne

MemberMember
(@whatslife)

Posted : 11/19/2014 10:05 pm

So I've been struggleing with acne for 2 years I have used almost every OTC facewashes out there and nothing worked so I went to the dermatologist about 6 months ago and was prescribed retin-a and monocyclin and am still useing both and use acne free facewash but don't really use the retina like I'm supposed to because I have really sensitive skin and it burns a lot my face chest and back were getting really clear then all the sudden I broke out like crazy and it won't clear up I have no clue what to do anymore it's so embarrassing and makes me feel ugly my dermotoligst doesn't really help me all she wants to do is try and force my to take accutane which I firmly refuse because I'm already very depressed and don't need to take something that can make me suicidal I already have lots of problems and am really skinny so most of the side affects would hit me hard but next month I'm going to a new dermotoligst but I don't want retina again it's not working what should I suggest? Also my dad recently moved and the water at his house has lots of calcium and when I go over there it makes me really dry and makes me break out is it the calcium?

And one more thing when I shave I get bad razor bumps that turn into pimples and i can't make it not happen how do I fix this ?

Ps:I have very very oily skin

post-436601-0-10998100-1416452690.jpg

MemberMember
(@420blazeitfgt)

Posted : 11/20/2014 4:21 am

Dude, maybe you need accutane. The majority of people that take it have extremely positive results and the side effects are way overhyped. Look at the accutane logs section on this site and you will rarely see someone who had a totally negative experiance, if any. Accutane kills the shit out of acne, I haven't broken out since I stopped taking it almost a year ago and all I do for my face is shower in the morning. Acne is what makes people depressed, not the accutane. Also, if you're shaving with a manual razor you should stop, get an electric razor with a trimmer on the back and only use the trimmer. You don't get a close shave but its good enough and it doesn't irritate your face.

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 11/20/2014 1:25 pm

What's changed in your diet or life style in the past that made this happen? It might be an allergy of some sort. As far as accutane goes... I've been on it. I personally don't think the symptoms are overhyped. I had sever muscle ache, depression, red flakey dry skin and anxiety. But on the other hand... There is a 2 out of 3 success rate. So really it's all on you. How bad do you not want acne. It helped my acne for about a yeAr until it slowly came back. It's not as bad as it was but still sucked

MemberMember
(@whatslife)

Posted : 11/20/2014 7:06 pm

I don't care how good accutane works I REFUSE to take it I already have so many problems and I know my body and know that it cannot handle accutane

MemberMember
(@mandystrope)

Posted : 11/20/2014 9:42 pm

Try to use manuka honey cream, it is actually contains highest levels of antibacterial properties that work with acne infections. I have also an acne prone skin and I always have huge pimples all over my face and back. I've been using manuka honey cream for a month now and I can see some improvements. I also eat raw manuka honey, I use it as a substitute for sugar. So far it helps with my skin problem.

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 11/20/2014 11:20 pm

What's changed in the past that made you break out? What is your regimen like? Help us help you. We get you don't want to try accutane, what will you try? What have you tried for longer than 2 months. A lot of people try a product for less than a week and claim it doesn't work when there skin is just adjusting.

I don't care how good accutane works I REFUSE to take it I already have so many problems and I know my body and know that it cannot handle accutane

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 11/21/2014 1:21 pm

Yeah, we really need to know how your diet and general lifestyle is like. Meaning, do you exercise, what do you eat, etc.

Imo, for severe acne, it doesn't matter WHAT products you use.. It's not going to help. A pimple here and there, sure, maybe some cleansers can help but for severe/persistent acne like mine at least, it's much more than what product you use. Most likely, products won't even matter as well as other medical supplements when it comes to bad acne issues.

MemberMember
(@whatslife)

Posted : 11/24/2014 7:31 pm

Nothing has changed that's made me break out that I know of, this may sound really stupid but I'm not too sure what a regimen is , I'll try anything other than accutane , most the stuff I've done I wait 3months currently I've been using the same stuff for 5-6 months

What's changed in the past that made you break out? What is your regimen like? Help us help you. We get you don't want to try accutane, what will you try? What have you tried for longer than 2 months. A lot of people try a product for less than a week and claim it doesn't work when there skin is just adjusting.

Well I don't really eat that healthy because I'm a really picky eater but I eat salads and such fruits, veggies but not like i should but most the time I'm not really hungry because Adderall just makes me that way

I exercise whenever I can but I don't exercise as much as I should

Yeah, we really need to know how your diet and general lifestyle is like. Meaning, do you exercise, what do you eat, etc.

Imo, for severe acne, it doesn't matter WHAT products you use.. It's not going to help. A pimple here and there, sure, maybe some cleansers can help but for severe/persistent acne like mine at least, it's much more than what product you use. Most likely, products won't even matter as well as other medical supplements when it comes to bad acne issues.

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 11/25/2014 4:48 pm

"Well I don't really eat that healthy because I'm a really picky eater but I eat salads and such fruits, veggies but not like i should but most the time I'm not really hungry because Adderall just makes me that way
I exercise whenever I can but I don't exercise as much as I should"

Before going any further, I never suffered with acne anyway other than my face, but I think the same principal applies.. At least I think it should. So, what is your diet like? Don't just say you eat salads and fruits.. Go in detail, say everything you usually eat.

For example, my "diet" atm is looking like this: In the morning, have a banana, few strawberries, some blueberries with gluten free protein powder, spinach and water and drink it as a smoothie. For lunch, I try my best to always get a salad at work with some lean meat such as grilled chicken with no dressing. I also try to keep it "extra" clean by only eating greens. No cheese and the like. For dinner, I would eat a salmon fillet with spinach, sometimes some brown rice but not too much, just enough such as the size of my fist. I also snack on a sweet potato (1 or 2) throughout the day. And I skip meals from time to time (not frequent).

I believe it's not just diet, but portion control. Well let me give more insight after you tell me in depth such as I did.

And start exercising. Everyone's body is different, but for me, not only does exercising feel amazing (maybe because I do it in the early mornings) it helps my skin looking cleaner (a bit) and I just overall feel healthy until I eat some foods I shouldn't eat... But that's a different story lol

MemberMember
(@whatslife)

Posted : 12/03/2014 10:57 pm

Well in the mornings I eat toaster strudels or pop tarts or eggs then for lunch I normally eat a pb&j around 7th period I get really hungry and eat pop corn or cheese it-z then later when I get home I have a protein shake with bannana sportiness powder milk and peanut butter my dinners are different every night ah and I try to exercise but my chest starts hurting when I run and my heart beats super super fast sorry it has taken me so long to reply I've been really busy

"Well I don't really eat that healthy because I'm a really picky eater but I eat salads and such fruits, veggies but not like i should but most the time I'm not really hungry because Adderall just makes me that way

Before going any further, I never suffered with acne anyway other than my face, but I think the same principal applies.. At least I think it should. So, what is your diet like? Don't just say you eat salads and fruits.. Go in detail, say everything you usually eat.

For example, my "diet" atm is looking like this: In the morning, have a banana, few strawberries, some blueberries with gluten free protein powder, spinach and water and drink it as a smoothie. For lunch, I try my best to always get a salad at work with some lean meat such as grilled chicken with no dressing. I also try to keep it "extra" clean by only eating greens. No cheese and the like. For dinner, I would eat a salmon fillet with spinach, sometimes some brown rice but not too much, just enough such as the size of my fist. I also snack on a sweet potato (1 or 2) throughout the day. And I skip meals from time to time (not frequent).

I believe it's not just diet, but portion control. Well let me give more insight after you tell me in depth such as I did.

And start exercising. Everyone's body is different, but for me, not only does exercising feel amazing (maybe because I do it in the early mornings) it helps my skin looking cleaner (a bit) and I just overall feel healthy until I eat some foods I shouldn't eat... But that's a different story lol

MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 12/03/2014 11:35 pm

Well in the mornings I eat toaster strudels or pop tarts or eggs then for lunch I normally eat a pb&j around 7th period I get really hungry and eat pop corn or cheese it-z then later when I get home I have a protein shake with bannana sportiness powder milk and peanut butter my dinners are different every night ah and I try to exercise but my chest starts hurting when I run and my heart beats super super fast sorry it has taken me so long to reply I've been really busy

Yikes.. That is Acne Fuel!

Dairy fluctuates your hormones (hormonal acne will only be ENRAGED by Dairy)

Gluten increases body inflammation (which will inflame Acne)

Cutting both of those out of your diet may be what you need to reduce appearance of your severe acne.

Reducing sugar intake will also help a ton, means no more pop tarts or sugary snacks (maybe try once or twice a week treats).

You're like me brother, diet effects us acne prone people. We must adapt if we wish to GET and MAINTAIN clear skin.

Breakfast: Eggs with Fruit

Lunch: Salad with Lean Protein (chicken, turkey burger, etc...)

Dinner: Lean Protein with VEGGIES (sounds exciting, I know)

Snacks: Veggies, Fruits.

I'm in love with Peanut Butter and Jellies but I've had to cut them down to once a week. Jelly has LOTS of added sugar, Peanut Butter has oils that increase body inflammation. Bread has Gluten which is shit..

If you MUST eat sandwhich's have them on Gluten Free bread, but avoid sandwhichs as much as possible (I know, really hard.. took me a long time to adapt).

Any additional questions, you can PM me.

Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 12/04/2014 6:50 am

Cutting both of those out of your diet may be what you need to reduce appearance of your severe acne.

Reducing sugar intake will also help a ton, means no more pop tarts or sugary snacks (maybe try once or twice a week treats).

You're like me brother, diet effects us acne prone people. We must adapt if we wish to GET and MAINTAIN clear skin.

I'm in love with Peanut Butter and Jellies but I've had to cut them down to once a week. Jelly has LOTS of added sugar, Peanut Butter has oils that increase body inflammation. Bread has Gluten which is shit..

If you MUST eat sandwhich's have them on Gluten Free bread, but avoid sandwhichs as much as possible (I know, really hard.. took me a long time to adapt).

Good Luck!

I agree with packerfan. I took out dairy and gluten out of my diet (almost entirely of gluten) which includes pretty much all grains such as pasta, bread, rice, etc. and my face has gotten much better. I just recently took out grains so I'll have to keep observing. I'm not going to say anymore as it's different for everyone else but your diet definitely needs to get cleaned up. Try taking out dairy and grains.

I'm also avoiding eggs on my part since they give me discomfort at times but I don't really suggest that.

MemberMember
(@a97)

Posted : 12/04/2014 12:14 pm

What you should try before going on accutane are the body regimen at acne.org and azelaic acid. In my experience, those are the most powerful topical acne treatments and would most likely improve your skin and get your clear. Just don't waste your time on over-the-counter products that promise alot but most of them don't work.

MemberMember
(@timbuddy)

Posted : 12/06/2014 11:59 am

Hey Whatslife - I know what you're going through because I used Retin-A and it was HORRIBLE for me. Made me bright red because I'm fair skinned and had oily skin. I also refused to use Accutane and ended up finally fixing the problem through little habits in diet and exercise implemented over time.

When done properly these can have a big impact. Happy to share more about what worked for me and what I see works well for others from that perspective.

Based on what you say, to me it seems like you can have a big impact with just a few tweaks to your diet and lifestyle.

MemberMember
(@whatslife)

Posted : 12/14/2014 8:52 pm

Good Luck!

Good Luck!

I agree with packerfan. I took out dairy and gluten out of my diet (almost entirely of gluten) which includes pretty much all grains such as pasta, bread, rice, etc. and my face has gotten much better. I just recently took out grains so I'll have to keep observing. I'm not going to say anymore as it's different for everyone else but your diet definitely needs to get cleaned up. Try taking out dairy and grains.

I'm also avoiding eggs on my part since they give me discomfort at times but I don't really suggest that.

Well in the past week I've been drinking cutting out milk instead drinking almond milk , trying to be gluten free ,and instead of using butter I try to use coconut oil I haven't been able to exercise because I currently have an air cast on but I am trying ! Thank you

Does anybody have any suggestions for acne face washes I currently use acne free but just got a new bottle and it's a new formula and it feels like water I used to use oxy but it quit working for me

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 12/15/2014 9:47 am

Well in the past week I've been drinking cutting out milk instead drinking almond milk , trying to be gluten free ,and instead of using butter I try to use coconut oil I haven't been able to exercise because I currently have an air cast on but I am trying ! Thank you

Does anybody have any suggestions for acne face washes I currently use acne free but just got a new bottle and it's a new formula and it feels like water I used to use oxy but it quit working for me

That's a good start. Keep in mind that most likely, you will need to cut them out completely if you see no change. You can probably reintroduce these foods months later though.

In terms of face washes, I just use something from Paula's choice but mainly I just use water. Some on this forum may oppose to that but I don't. I don't think a face wash is necessary for everyday use, so I only use that from time to time.

MemberMember
(@whatslife)

Posted : 05/15/2015 9:40 pm

I just thought I would update you all after going through so much lately I couldn't take it anymore everything in my life was going wrong and my face was a disaster I've come to the decision to take accutane I'm only 4 days in and my face is burning dry Ughh i don't know what too do if you would like to follow me on my journey follow my accutane Instagram account [removed]

MemberMember
(@jmtm18017)

Posted : 05/17/2015 5:36 pm

Try to use a moisturizer while your skin is raw and red from the actuate. If you get chapped/bleeding lips, your doctor might be able to give you a script for topical steroid ointment...

I was on Accutane twice (for much less severe acne) and had very few side effects-- even while I was on an antidepressant. Since I'm a short little troll, my dosage was adjusted accordingly.