Notifications
Clear all

Acne Scars Or Hyperpigmentation?

MemberMember
(@meganmarie14)

Posted : 11/16/2014 7:32 pm

Hi everyone :) I just found this forum and figured I might as well ask a question since I've been a little stressed about my skin lately.

So I've had acne for about 4 years. It started out just a bit but grew to be a lot more. Since it started getting it when I was young, I didn't really care about my skin and I picked at it a lot, until it would eventually fade into this sort of discolored-looking purple and pinkish color.

Last year I went to a dermatologist who prescribed me with a medication that's helped some but the problem is that when I first start using it it pushes all the acne onto the surface on my skin which causes me to look like I have more acne for a while. I've gotten really irritated with it because I want to pick at the acne because it has whiteheads on it, but I know I shouldn't. So far I've picked a little and decided that I wanted to look for more help on what my acne situation is.

My forehead is the worst part, but I have some acne on my chekbones, my chin and some that is by my hairline and by my ears. I can't tell if what is going on is acne scarring or hyperpigmentation, since I just learned that they are two different things. When I touch my skin, the majority of it is bumpy but some of the places with the faded spots is smooth. I don't really know if I have any "pits" but it's nothing like the pictures of acne scars I've seen on google. When I go to my dermatologist again, I'm going to ask about ways to heal this skin problem but I wanted to know if what is going on is either scarring or discoloring and if it will go away.

post-436051-0-27979900-1416183833.jpg

post-436051-0-71187800-1416184235.jpg

post-436051-0-45052600-1416184253.jpg

post-436051-0-92935700-1416184272.jpg

MemberMember
(@meganmarie14)

Posted : 11/17/2014 11:41 pm

Anyone have any advice/help?

MemberMember
(@vermilion)

Posted : 11/18/2014 2:13 am

They are red marks (hyperpigmentation). Scarring will have shallow indentations. I would first address the acne, then move on to treating the red marks. As for the red marks, they do go away by themselves (through time), but it may take years. But if you want to accelerate the fading, I'd first start wearing sunscreen as the sun can exacerbate the red marks. Next, you can use either chemical or physical exfoliation to speed up the fading. I personally use salicylic acid to exfoliate as I have really oily skin.

Start practicing good habits. E.g. not touching skin with hands, picking, create a regimen that works for you (gonna have to be trial and error).

That's is what I am doing anyways. Good luck~