Notifications
Clear all

Can P.acne Develop Any Resistance Against Benzoyl Peroxide ?

MemberMember
(@bahi01000)

Posted : 11/07/2014 9:06 pm

hi, i have mild moderate acne and want to use benzoyl peroxide combined with defferin to treat it but i'm planning to use benzoyl peroxide for 5 years continuously, does p.acne can develop any resistance against benzoyl peroxide and if yes is there any studies thanks.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 11/08/2014 7:06 am

no, benzoyl peroxide does not get resistant against acne. Your skin however may get sensitive to it which happened to me after a year. I developed facial eczema that flared anytime i used topicals after i discontinued BP. I now am able to use aczone and i'm trying to work myself up to using a retinoid. With that said, be very careful with BP use as lone term it can make your overall skin much worse.

MemberMember
(@a97)

Posted : 12/01/2014 3:59 pm

no, benzoyl peroxide does not get resistant against acne. Your skin however may get sensitive to it which happened to me after a year. I developed facial eczema that flared anytime i used topicals after i discontinued BP. I now am able to use aczone and i'm trying to work myself up to using a retinoid. With that said, be very careful with BP use as lone term it can make your overall skin much worse.

I also developed senstivity to bp after a few months but once I stopped my skin came back to normal. Maybe you would've developed eczeme or rosacea anyway. Topicals cannot cause permanant skin problems.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/01/2014 6:14 pm

I also developed senstivity to bp after a few months but once I stopped my skin came back to normal. Maybe you would've developed eczeme or rosacea anyway. Topicals cannot cause permanant skin problems.

Very false. Topicals can definitely cause permanent damage to skin, depending on your skin type, sensitivity, etc. I may have been on the road to develop eczema and rpsacea but BP for me definitely caused eczema as I never had it before in my life, even when using strong retinoids.

MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 12/01/2014 9:09 pm

That is an interesting observation, I will be careful with long term of topicals and will bring this up with my derm to see what she has to say.

Did you use BP on areas where you did not have acne? Or did you spot treat?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@bobbyfisher23)

Posted : 12/02/2014 12:58 am

Yet Dan's skin is absolutely perfect....

MemberMember
(@a97)

Posted : 12/02/2014 7:56 am

Very false. Topicals can definitely cause permanent damage to skin, depending on your skin type, sensitivity, etc. I may have been on the road to develop eczema and rpsacea but BP for me definitely caused eczema as I never had it before in my life, even when using strong retinoids.

Some topicals may cause damage but not create a skin condition. People usually get rosacea when they get older. Benzoyl peroxide is well researched and very safe. Instead of blaming bp, avoid things that are known to aggravate rosacea or eczema like unproctected sun exposure and irritants (alcohol, menthol, witch hazel, fragrance, essential oils,etc).And maybe you are using a strong medication like a perscription retinoid which isn't the best for your skin type.

MemberMember
(@a97)

Posted : 12/02/2014 8:14 am

Some topicals may cause damage but not create a skin condition. People usually get rosacea when they get older. Benzoyl peroxide is well researched and very safe. Instead of blaming bp, avoid things that are known to aggravate rosacea or eczema like unproctected sun exposure and irritants (alcohol, menthol, witch hazel, fragrance, essential oils,etc).And maybe you are using a strong medication like a perscription retinoid which isn't the best for your skin type.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/02/2014 7:47 pm

That is an interesting observation, I will be careful with long term of topicals and will bring this up with my derm to see what she has to say.

Thanks

I used it all over as it helped prevent acne, quite well actually. Spot treating with BP is useless as once a pimple presents itself, it just has to run its course. I'm not discouraging use of topicals long term as it works for some people until they outgrow their acne but the possibility of skin becoming sensitive to them is very real.

You sure are defending BP strongly - are you getting a kick back . But on a serious note, in my personal case and my personal experience, BP was used for a long period of time and eczema appeared. In my opinion and experiences, A+B=C. Everyones skin is different so you can't state with 100% accuracy that topicals cannot cause skin conditions.

Good for Dan

MemberMember
(@a97)

Posted : 12/03/2014 6:40 am

Thanks

I used it all over as it helped prevent acne, quite well actually. Spot treating with BP is useless as once a pimple presents itself, it just has to run its course. I'm not discouraging use of topicals long term as it works for some people until they outgrow their acne but the possibility of skin becoming sensitive to them is very real.

You sure are defending BP strongly - are you getting a kick backteehee.gif . But on a serious note, in my personal case and my personal experience, BP was used for a long period of time and eczema appeared. In my opinion and experiences, A+B=C. Everyones skin is different so you can't state with 100% accuracy that topicals cannot cause skin conditions.

Good for Dan

I am trying to say that an allergic reaction to anything won't last more than a few days after you stop using a topical. And as you said, everyone's skin is different. So if bp caused "long term damage" for you, it most probably won't do with others. For me bp caused my skin to look really red and horrible for a few months but that didn't changed the fact that it's one of the few acne treatments that really work.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/03/2014 7:19 pm

Thanks

You sure are defending BP strongly - are you getting a kick backteehee.gif . But on a serious note, in my personal case and my personal experience, BP was used for a long period of time and eczema appeared. In my opinion and experiences, A+B=C. Everyones skin is different so you can't state with 100% accuracy that topicals cannot cause skin conditions.

Good for Dan

I am trying to say that an allergic reaction to anything won't last more than a few days after you stop using a topical. And as you said, everyone's skin is different. So if bp caused "long term damage" for you, it most probably won't do with others. For me bp caused my skin to look really red and horrible for a few months but that didn't changed the fact that it's one of the few acne treatments that really work.

I'm not trying to say that BP is not effective. Next to accutane, it kept me clear until i became sensitive to it. Everything I have written pertains to my personal experiences with BP so the OP and everyone else should take it with a grain of salt as with all products, there will be good and bad.

A97 liked
MemberMember
(@majorpackerfan)

Posted : 12/03/2014 11:24 pm

"Spot treating with BP is useless as once a pimple presents itself,"

That's not true, BP kills the P.Acne Bacteria to make the pimple go down MUCH faster. I was instructed by my dermatologist to ONLY APPLY IT TO ACNE AREAS. Although I am on an antibiotic so that probably clears the already clear spots and the BP/Clynda helps from developing a resistance to the problem areas.