Notifications
Clear all

B5 Induced Hair Loss

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 10/22/2014 8:03 pm

Hey guys, there was a really helpful yet totally depressing thread about chronic hair loss from taking mega doses (or in my case not so mega doses) of vitamin B5 in an attempt to assuage acne. This thread was largely male populated, possibly completely. I'm a girl, took B5 for four days, stupidly starting off with 5 tablets, then 4 the second day, then 1, then half a 1 (if i remember correctly) when i read how damaging it can be. It was only 4 days (or was it five, damn it, four or five anyway) but my hair is shedding like crazzzzy.

Are there any girls out there suffering from this? And also is there anyone male or female who took the B5 for 5 days or under and has had permanent hair loss? I'm hoping that mine doesn't get chronic, but it really is not looking good at this point. Already browsing head scarves and they all have the word 'chemo' in the description!

Thanks and my thoughts are with everyone struggling with acne, and hair loss, and acne and hair loss! :( its a cruel world x

MemberMember
(@wikkid)

Posted : 10/25/2014 4:33 pm

Vitamin B5 competes with biotin at the same receptor, so it blocked biotin from doing what it does: make your hair glow & grow, make your face oily, make your nails strong & grow. So by taking B5 you get dry, unhealthy hair, weak nails, and dry skin. But this all depends on individual, B5 for acne should only be used by people who have very oily skin, as the only way it reduces acne is by reducing sebum production (reducing biotin action). And people who have very oily face often have greasy hair, so it won't hurt their hair as much as they had strong/greasy hair in the beginning. What you could do is take biotin supplement, but this would aggravate acne probably, and takes time to help with hair growth. If this really bothers you, try biotin supplement and if it does not break you out, then continue. Hope this helps.