Notifications
Clear all

Toothpaste Causing Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/17/2014 6:17 am

Hi all

I'm just about to start week 8 on a regimen of Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Epiduo, CeraVe Moisturising Lotion, and 1 x 408mg Tetracycline each day.

So far it's been going great, actually amazing, I cannot believe the difference (once I got past the burning and purging anyway).

However, one of my areas of concern are my chin and mouth, always have been!

In the last 3 weeks I've had about 4 random large pimples and every one of them has been above/under my lip, and I always have these 'white spots' around the corners of my mouth. Could it be my toothpaste causing these pimples? I'm not exactly careful when I brush, I end up with it everywhere!

I always just use whatever brand is on offer, usually just a generic one like Colgate Whitening for example.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Also, has anyone found a good replacement non-comedogenic toothpaste that still does its job, if such a thing even exists?

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/17/2014 8:02 am

toothpastes causing breakouts? not quite sure if i've ever heard of this. Not unless you're allergic to an ingredient in the toothpaste

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/17/2014 9:15 am

That's actually a good question...while I am not sure if there are comedogenic ingredients in toothpaste, irritation is a known aggravator of acne and if your toothpaste gets on your chin and around your mouth when you brush, it could be contributing to irritation around the mouth area. My advice would be to try and not get toothpaste around your mouth, see if that helps at all. But the mouth area is a very common place for some people to break out. It's probably my son's worst area...he often wakes up with several new white zits here...I also used to get really huge painful ones right on my upper lip as a teen...they were really ugly and very embarrassing! Always felt like everyone was staring at it all day lol.

Hope this helps! :)

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 10/17/2014 10:24 am

yes toothpaste can cause cyst acne around the mouth area because of the fluoride

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/17/2014 10:55 am

Wow, didn't know this...thanks! :) So that's why I got occasional cysts there...learn something new every day.

LF: So would so say that switching to a non-fluoride toothpaste would help??

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/21/2014 11:10 pm

yes toothpaste can cause cyst acne around the mouth area because of the fluoride

I had a feeling there'd be a reason! Thank you. I was also looking at the ingredients list the other day and there were so many irritants and known comedogenic ingredients. I'm trying to be more careful, but I'm up at 4am for work so it's usually pitch black and I'm half asleep, not a good combination!

I thought that by now, if this was an issue for certain people, there'd be some kind of alternative out there :(

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@takingcharge14)

Posted : 10/21/2014 11:52 pm

Never thought about toothpaste as potential breakout cause. Which one do you use?

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/22/2014 5:24 am

Bad genetics cause breakouts.

Impressive input and extremely relevant to the question. Keep up the good work, sir.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/22/2014 7:25 am

If what LF says is true, maybe try switching to an all-natural non-fluoride toothpaste, see if that helps. Not sure if the other ingredients would be noncomedogenic though, so just continue being careful not to get toothpaste outside of the lip area.

I do know from being on the Regimen that around my mouth was especially sensitive and easily irritated by the treatment so it was a common area for me to break out in.

Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 10/22/2014 9:49 am

Some people may have an allergic reaction to fluoride. It's in your water, it's in your toothpaste it's in your food.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/22/2014 11:40 pm

I use Squigle toothpaste. It basically has nothing in it that could possibly irritate your skin, ever.

MemberMember
(@nicoleblk9)

Posted : 10/23/2014 5:21 am

Thanks for all your replies, I'm currently using one by Crest I think...like I said, I'm not usually too fussy about it. I wonder if it is in my Listerine mouthwash too? Hmm definitely something to think about. I think I'll try and find some fluoride-free toothpaste and see how I get on.