Notifications
Clear all

Just Beginning Accutane

MemberMember
(@spencersmithh)

Posted : 09/30/2014 10:51 pm

So I have been struggling with acne since my freshman year of high school, now a senior. I have been prescribed every possible acne medication, along with using them religiously, but nothing has worked. I finally set up a meeting with my dermatologist a couple weeks ago, and was prescribed accutane. I was very nervous at first, but realized this was the only way to completely remove my acne forever. So I took the plunge, now on day 6, and have endured some mild side effects. On the first couple of days, I had stomach pains, which was probably just my body getting used to the pill, which passed by day 4. My face has been progressively getting dryer by the day, but can be handled with the right moisturisor. I have been experiencing muscle spasms in my right chest muscle, nothing too severe, and chapped lips. The only downfall is that I have broken out worse than I ever have before. I hope this passes soon, but other than these few symptoms, my body is reacting just fine.

MemberMember
(@strg7777)

Posted : 10/05/2014 4:27 pm

Yeah the initial breakout is always the worst part from what I've heard. I've been lucky enough to not have to go through that. Make sure you're vigilant in your skin care routine. Always use a light facial cleanser and moisturizer. Cetaphil is usually the way to go as it doesn't irritate the skin. Use aquaphor to alleviate those chapped lips. Be strict about taking accutane. Don't be lenient and skip days. There's still a moderate chance that acne can always relapse even though the course may be over. Good luck with your course.

MemberMember
(@nicklo62)

Posted : 10/05/2014 7:30 pm

So I have been struggling with acne since my freshman year of high school, now a senior. I have been prescribed every possible acne medication, along with using them religiously, but nothing has worked. I finally set up a meeting with my dermatologist a couple weeks ago, and was prescribed accutane. I was very nervous at first, but realized this was the only way to completely remove my acne forever. So I took the plunge, now on day 6, and have endured some mild side effects. On the first couple of days, I had stomach pains, which was probably just my body getting used to the pill, which passed by day 4. My face has been progressively getting dryer by the day, but can be handled with the right moisturisor. I have been experiencing muscle spasms in my right chest muscle, nothing too severe, and chapped lips. The only downfall is that I have broken out worse than I ever have before. I hope this passes soon, but other than these few symptoms, my body is reacting just fine.

I'm on 3.5 weeks of zenatane, it's my first time in isotretinoin. I'm on 40 mg daily, I too broke out the 1st week, but the only side effects I've had are dry skin, lips, and increased cholesterol. I was supposed to move to 70mg, but my derm won't let me now.