Notifications
Clear all

Dermapen / Dermaroller Case Study

MemberMember
(@f93d)

Posted : 07/20/2014 7:51 am

Introduction

I wanted to do a neutral case study for the Dermapen / electronic needling devices.

I'm 25, half asian, half white. Most of my scarring came from using Accutane, some from picking. The deep colored marks are from deep cysts. I'm mostly acne free, a few specs here and there.

For this documentation, I will only track 1 side of my face.

Tools & Settings

DERMAROLLING DAY:

- Dermajet, 2.5 impacts / second, 2mm depth

- Super Cu 2x application after rolling

- Cu peptide application. Leave on skin for maximum 3 hours. Red light 680nm 15 minutes after application.

- Reviva Labs Alpha Lipoic Acid Vitamin C Ester and DMAE Cream

OTHER DAYS:

- Green cream Lv 9 (2 - 4 times / wk) + Reviva Labs)

- Cu peptides (twice / wk). Max 3 hour application. Must use 680nm light.

- Reviva Labs DMAE Cream

- Red light 680nm 15 min / day

Those are my current specs. When I first started I didn't use LLLT.

Needling Dates

2/2/14; 3/18/14; 4/22/14; 5/13/14; 5/27/14; 6/12/14 (6 total, 6 months in)

Before - Feb 2014

Misc Months

July (6 month mark)

Final Thoughts

At this time, I cannot confidently claim improvement. This will be a 3 year project.

I'll update once every 3 months with pictures and the needling dates. Whether or not there is improvement, it appears there isn't an adverse effect on my skin due to needling. I don't intend to pursue any stronger scar treatments as no one I've ever met seems to care about my scarring.

Besides the initial cost, it costs approx $10 for every needling session (new needles).

All needling questions have already been answered on other threads - they're very good resources.

Thanks for reading!

MemberMember
(@remicade)

Posted : 07/21/2014 4:17 am

Good job ! I start dermarolling in 2011 and the results are great. It works very slowly but the results will appear.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 07/21/2014 4:25 am

This is interesting. Looks like you are using the Dermajet that Owndoc once sold on their site? Looks like you are very aggressive with your stamping technique. How many days does it take for the redness to go down and look presentable for you?

For purposes of documentation, I agree that you should take photos once all the swelling subsides. The skin always looks really good 2 days post stamping, so that doesn't really give an accurate picture of improvement.

Thanks for documenting!

MemberMember
(@pineapplexpress)

Posted : 07/21/2014 3:38 pm

Remicade,

wow you've been rolling for quite some time now how much improvement would you say you've had?

MemberMember
(@f93d)

Posted : 07/21/2014 4:51 pm

This is interesting. Looks like you are using the Dermajet that Owndoc once sold on their site? Looks like you are very aggressive with your stamping technique. How many days does it take for the redness to go down and look presentable for you?

For purposes of documentation, I agree that you should take photos once all the swelling subsides. The skin always looks really good 2 days post stamping, so that doesn't really give an accurate picture of improvement.

Thanks for documenting!

Yes the dermajet is no longer for sale. I do not know alternatives, never researched. The owndoc needles are often the wrong length or bent and I have to toss them out - maybe there are better options out there?

Bloodshot red for 2 - 3 days, looks horrible for day 4 - 7 (skin peeling and red). That 2 day postneedling picture doesn't show any red at all for some reason.

I take 1 day off (i.e. needle thursday night, friday stay home, saturday back to normal).

People will stare and comment on it. Presentable I'd say day 4.

--

I'll take a picture in white light to see if it's any worse - i'll post it tonight if it is (just added July 2014 pix to first post).

Otherwise I'll come back to this thread in 3 - 4 months.

MemberMember
(@julian1)

Posted : 07/21/2014 5:53 pm

Awesome thread man. All of luck to you. To me it looks it is already improving. I started around the time you started and I have seen improvement. However I use some other topicals and I've only recently begun using the LEDS (for 5 mins); also I'm not as aggressive as you are, how many times do you stamp each scar? I try to do it around 10 times and my skin looks normal around 3-4 days after the session

MemberMember
(@bioneedle)

Posted : 07/21/2014 9:48 pm

Thanks for documenting!

Yes the dermajet is no longer for sale. I do not know alternatives, never researched. The owndoc needles are often the wrong length or bent and I have to toss them out - maybe there are better options out there?

OwnDoc is actually releasing another dermaneedling device this summer that is supposed to be better and replace the dermajet. It is supposed to be priced at $199, and come in a few months. Check out their site if you want to see it.

MemberMember
(@rian202003)

Posted : 07/22/2014 1:41 am

brave man, good luck