Notifications
Clear all

Using Apple Cider Vinegar Without Diluting?

MemberMember
(@martino123)

Posted : 07/09/2014 6:32 am

Hi I heard that using ACV could remove acne so I poured some on a cotton ball and applied to my face but i didn't dilute it. I read afterwards that it was important to dilute it. What could happen if I don't dilute it?

Thank you very much

MemberMember
(@runner7891)

Posted : 07/09/2014 11:25 am

ACV is very acidic and I believe that when you do not dilute the ACV, you have a greater risk of having irritated, inflamed, red skin after applying. ACV doesn't really have any real evidence to back up its results on acne and can actually damage your skin if applied too often. I'd be careful when using ACV.

MemberMember
(@naturale)

Posted : 07/30/2014 10:26 pm

if you don't dilute it, it will work for only a few days and make your skin redder and sensitive. And it will screw your skin pH and acid mantle.

Even roacutane didn't work for me.

Only going 100% healthy and chemical free and toning with diluted apple cider vinegar washing w raw honey moisturising w pure cold pressed avocado oil and spot treating with diluted apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil. Good luck

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/05/2014 6:02 am

Hey-

So apple cider vinegar is alkaline so use it carefully as you would antibacterial soap on your face. Alkaline is good, alkaline diets are good, but low pH topicals can strip too much natural oil from your skin if used in excess

I've just started using it undiluted, but can tell that it's correcting the "damage" to my acid mantle that I'm doing with the salicylic acid/mild TCA rice oil wash I use in the shower. (I'm doing a deeper exfoliation to aid scars.)

I'd advise, as with everything, to listen to your skin. If you start somewhat aggressively, with a quick swipe undiluted 1x a day and your skin likes it, there should be no reason to dilute. If any itchy, burning, dryness results, ease back and dilute.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/08/2014 12:24 pm

Hey-

So apple cider vinegar is alkaline so use it carefully as you would antibacterial soap on your face. Alkaline is good, alkaline diets are good, but low pH topicals can strip too much natural oil from your skin if used in excess

I've just started using it undiluted, but can tell that it's correcting the "damage" to my acid mantle that I'm doing with the salicylic acid/mild TCA rice oil wash I use in the shower. (I'm doing a deeper exfoliation to aid scars.)

I'd advise, as with everything, to listen to your skin. If you start somewhat aggressively, with a quick swipe undiluted 1x a day and your skin likes it, there should be no reason to dilute. If any itchy, burning, dryness results, ease back and dilute.

Good luck!

Apple cider vinegar is not alkaline. It is very acidic. It is a 2.8-3.0 on the pH scale. Anything below 7 is acidic.

If you are applying salicylic acid and and then also applying ACV you are just making your skin even more acidic. Pure salicylic acid in a water base is typically a 1.0 - 2.0 on the pH scale.

If you truly want to "reverse" the acidity of the salicylic acid and make your skin more alkaline, then mix baking soda (ph of 9) with distilled water and apply that.

If you've been reading about "alkaline diets" and drinking ACV, that is a different concept, which may be why you think ACV is alkaline. But even if you drink ACV, it increases the production of stomach acid, so it's having an acidic effect there too. However some people claim that by increasing the production of stomach acid you can improve digestion, which is why drinking it is often recommended.

All in all, though, the "alkaline diet" concept is a bit hokey and there are a lot of misguided people writing pure nonsense on the topic. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Some of the recommendations are helpful, but the logic behind the whole system isn't exactly sound.

The Promise

It's a pitch Hollywood celebs love: that the alkaline diet also known as the alkaline ash diet or alkaline acid diet can help you lose weight and avoid problems like arthritis and cancer. The theory is that some foods, like meat, wheat, refined sugar, and processed foods, cause your body to produce acid, which is bad for you.

Eating specific foods that make your body more alkaline, on the other hand, can protect against those conditions as well as shed pounds. The alkaline diet really rocketed into the news when Victoria Beckham tweeted about an alkaline diet cookbook in January 2013.

Does It Work?

Maybe, but not for the reasons it claims.

First, a little chemistry: A pH level measures how acid or alkaline something is. A pH of 0 is totally acidic, while a pH of 14 is completely alkaline. A pH of 7 is neutral. Those levels vary throughout your body. Your blood is slightly alkaline, with a pH between 7.35 and 7.45. Your stomach is very acidic, with a pH of 3.5 or below, so it can break down food. And your urine changes, depending on what you eat that's how your body keeps the level in your blood steady.

The alkaline diet claims to help your body maintain its blood pH level. In fact, nothing you eat is going to substantially change the pH of your blood. Your body works to keep that level constant.

But the foods you're supposed to eat on the alkaline diet are good for you: lots off ruits and vegetables, and lots of water. Avoiding sugar, alcohol, and processed foods is healthy weight-loss advice, too.

As to the other health claims, there's some early evidence that a diet low in acid-producing foods like animal protein (such as meat and cheese) and bread and high in fruits and veggies could help prevent kidney stones, keep bones and muscles strong, improve heart health and brain function, reduce low back pain, and lower risk for colon cancer and type 2 diabetes. But researchers aren't sure yet.

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 08/08/2014 1:12 pm

Hi I heard that using ACV could remove acne so I poured some on a cotton ball and applied to my face but i didn't dilute it. I read afterwards that it was important to dilute it. What could happen if I don't dilute it?

Thank you very much

Absolutely nothing wrong with it.Some people have very sensitive skin and that is why they dilute it.