Notifications
Clear all

Temporarily Clear Skin Quickly Using Accutane?

MemberMember
(@dfghrhe)

Posted : 07/08/2014 6:24 am

With 20 mg Isotretinoin, is it possible to clear your skin up very quickly that lasts for a day to a week? It doesn't matter if the skin gets worse again AFTER that, the main concern is having clear sign for this short period of time, such as for a formal occasion where you need to look your best

Can you safely up the Accutane dosage to achieve this?

MemberMember
(@dfghrhe)

Posted : 07/16/2014 5:37 am

Cmon, someone has to know an answer to this

MemberMember
(@misshopeful123)

Posted : 07/16/2014 6:57 am

im on 20 mg accutane for more than a month and no it didnt cleared me up my acne is pretty much same

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 07/16/2014 10:24 am

I started on 40 mg of Absorica mid-May. By mid-June I had cleared up and haven't had a breakout since then. But to be honest I have mild acne but it was persistant.

But - just want to say...why would you only want it to work for a short period. Why not do a whole dose and try to get rid of acne for good.

MemberMember
(@kool2k00)

Posted : 07/16/2014 6:07 pm

Hey OP,

Unfortunately, from personal experience and reading lots of other people's logs, I don't really think that's how it works. My personal experience so far has been that my skin dramatically improved in less than a month at 40 mg a day, but even then, it's not a miracle drug. It won't magically make your skin beautiful. All it can do is treat current breakouts and prevent new ones.

The sooner you start Accutane, the sooner you'll be clear, so I'd go for it anyway.

MemberMember
(@dfghrhe)

Posted : 07/18/2014 7:31 am

my skin dramatically improved in less than a month at 40 mg a day

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for actually. So does that mean I can start at 40 mg / day no problem, or should I slowly increase the dosage? (20mg for some weeks, then 30, then 40 etc)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 07/18/2014 12:52 pm

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for actually. So does that mean I can start at 40 mg / day no problem, or should I slowly increase the dosage? (20mg for some weeks, then 30, then 40 etc)

You are taking a huge risk by starting accutane just to be clear for a formal occasion. Many people have an initial breakout that can last for a week to two weeks, and there is no saying if this flare-up will happen to you at the 1 week mark or the three week mark (mine happened at the 4 week mark, and lasted for about 2 weeks - my skin was actually slightly worse then when I started for the 45 days of taking accutane). The chance of flare-up is greater the higher your dose, but many people on here have reported a flare-up on low-dose regimens.

Going on accutane for just a month seems like a waste of time and money. If your acne is mild-moderate, why don't you just schedule an appointment to have any existing large cysts or pimples shot up with hydrocortisone before the event (this will make them disappear) and cover the rest with a little bit of concealer?

MemberMember
(@kool2k00)

Posted : 07/18/2014 7:57 pm

You are taking a huge risk by starting accutane just to be clear for a formal occasion. Many people have an initial breakout that can last for a week to two weeks, and there is no saying if this flare-up will happen to you at the 1 week mark or the three week mark (mine happened at the 4 week mark, and lasted for about 2 weeks - my skin was actually slightly worse then when I started for the 45 days of taking accutane). The chance of flare-up is greater the higher your dose, but many people on here have reported a flare-up on low-dose regimens.

Going on accutane for just a month seems like a waste of time and money. If your acne is mild-moderate, why don't you just schedule an appointment to have any existing large cysts or pimples shot up with hydrocortisone before the event (this will make them disappear) and cover the rest with a little bit of concealer?

Agreed.

The majority of people seem to experience gradually lessening flare ups (I'm in the midst of one now, yay), and don't get "clear" for another couple of months. It's a pretty long term treatment.

I would consider going on Accutane just because, hey, if the you from 6 months from now could make that decision, they probably would. (Consider side effects, etc. too of course!) But for now, I think the suggestion of hydrocortisone and concealer is spot on.