Notifications
Clear all

What Type Of Scar, And What Can I Do About It? [Pic]

MemberMember
(@honorable)

Posted : 06/09/2014 8:12 pm

I have a pic attached. To me it looks like boxcar and icepick. I have icepicks at the jaw line and around the mouth mainly. What treatments would help with this? In the pic it doesn't look too bad, but it looks bad in some cases where the lighting is different.

post-183848-0-11978300-1402362562.png

post-183848-0-11978300-1402362562.png

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 06/09/2014 9:03 pm

Yes I think you have combination of icepick and boxcar scars. Acne scars are stubborn, no single treatment is best for everyone. There are few options for treatment of acne scars. Small, deep acne scars can be treated with surgical excision, which will ideally trade a depressed and discolored scar for a thin, flat scar.

Punch excision followed by resurfacing (dermabrasion or laser) is a reasonable strategy. But everyone heal differently, always proceed any treatment with caution, try a spot test to see your healing ability. I jumped into excision because I scared to try any other treatments and ended up with more harm than good, I have tried laser and dermarolling. However, I think surgery should be your last resort if everything else failed, you can try less invasive treatment first.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 06/10/2014 1:05 am

Poppy, how are you feeling about the excisions? Are you feeling less optimistic about them?

MemberMember
(@honorable)

Posted : 06/10/2014 8:23 am

Yes I think you have combination of icepick and boxcar scars. Acne scars are stubborn, no single treatment is best for everyone. There are few options for treatment of acne scars. Small, deep acne scars can be treated with surgical excision, which will ideally trade a depressed and discolored scar for a thin, flat scar.

Punch excision followed by resurfacing (dermabrasion or laser) is a reasonable strategy. But everyone heal differently, always proceed any treatment with caution, try a spot test to see your healing ability. I jumped into excision because I scared to try any other treatments and ended up with more harm than good, I have tried laser and dermarolling. However, I think surgery should be your last resort if everything else failed, you can try less invasive treatment first.

How well would a dermaroller work? Or acid peels?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 06/10/2014 9:34 am

Poppy, how are you feeling about the excisions? Are you feeling less optimistic about them?

I have a good feeling and still optimistic with my excision, I updated some pics on my post, will continue update during healing process..

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 06/10/2014 9:52 am

How well would a dermaroller work? Or acid peels?

Thanks

I tried dermaroller and didn't get any improvement but some members here get a good result from dermaroller. It help with my overall skin complexion but didn't do anything with my scars. I don't think peel will improve scar unless it's superficial, but I do like peel to remove dead skin and lighten hyperpigmentation.

I've got improvement from excision for my scars.