Notifications
Clear all

Horrid Acne Scaring. With Pics Any Advice?

MemberMember
(@mindgame1)

Posted : 06/07/2014 6:43 pm

post-401770-0-02625300-1402184605.jpgpost-401770-0-02625300-1402184605.jpgHello all,

I'm recently 30 and have learned to deal with my scaring and just accept it for what it is. I do go through periods where it really bothers me as it's pretty bad. My right side of the face is clear, but my left as you can see in the pictures is absolutely horrid. I finally want to do something about this or at least try to, but I'm not sure where to start. I've read most treatments are not very effective for sever scaring such as mine. I've also read that some treatments are more effective than others in treating different types of scars. I'm not sure what type mine are. If anyone has some sound advice or someone who has similar scaring who has undergone successful treatment could help me out with what might be most effective I would be greatly thankful. Or is it just something I'll have to live with as there are no treatments that can fix this?

post-401770-0-02625300-1402184605.jpg

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 06/11/2014 3:15 am

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPGattachicon.gifphoto 1.JPGHello all,

I'm recently 30 and have learned to deal with my scaring and just accept it for what it is. I do go through periods where it really bothers me as it's pretty bad. My right side of the face is clear, but my left as you can see in the pictures is absolutely horrid. I finally want to do something about this or at least try to, but I'm not sure where to start. I've read most treatments are not very effective for sever scaring such as mine. I've also read that some treatments are more effective than others in treating different types of scars. I'm not sure what type mine are. If anyone has some sound advice or someone who has similar scaring who has undergone successful treatment could help me out with what might be most effective I would be greatly thankful. Or is it just something I'll have to live with as there are no treatments that can fix this?

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Acne scars, by far, one of my feature that rule my self esteem the most. Acceptance is a weird concept when you hope no one looks you in the face. Nowadays, there are a lot of options available for treatment acne scar. Make sure you put a realistic expectation about your result, acne scars can be improve to the level where you can live with it.

Surgical treatment for acne scars is not an option you will read a lot about, but it is often the very best treatment for improving your complexion. Surgery works wonder for me and I have more severe scarring than you, but everyone heal differently, what works for me maybe won't work for you and not everyone will be a suitable candidate for surgery.

Any scar treatments carry a risk, whether you are fortunate that everything look better after, get no improvement or ended up worse than before you started. If your scars don't bother you anymore and you can live with it, maybe you don't want to carry the risk make it worse. I went with surgery route cause I believe that I can still improve my scars to the level I'll be happy and live with it. I'm glad I did, the best decision I ever made.

MemberMember
(@antoniogramsci)

Posted : 06/11/2014 11:13 am

Have you ever had a consultation with anyone? Acne scars suck.

MemberMember
(@mindgame1)

Posted : 06/11/2014 2:30 pm

Hey thanks for the post guys. Poppy looks like it went really well! Some days are better than others with these things. What type of surgery did you go through, subcision? Did a determotolgist perform it out a plastic surgeon? I only ask, because right now I live in PA and i'm trying to do research on finding a good doctor. If I'm going to shell out the money I want to find a doctor who's respected and knows what he or she is doing. Unfortunately, I"m not finding much info.

MemberMember
(@poppyw)

Posted : 06/13/2014 3:12 am

Hey thanks for the post guys. Poppy looks like it went really well! Some days are better than others with these things. What type of surgery did you go through, subcision? Did a determotolgist perform it out a plastic surgeon? I only ask, because right now I live in PA and i'm trying to do research on finding a good doctor. If I'm going to shell out the money I want to find a doctor who's respected and knows what he or she is doing. Unfortunately, I"m not finding much info.

I had scalpel excision with plastic surgeon, he cuts out the scars and stitches the skin shut, the sutures will be placed below the skin to keep the wound shut. Cause I have bunch of scars on booth cheeks, my surgeon didn't excised all my scars to prevent too much tension on my skin. I'll have 2nd excision for the rest of scars and then dermabrasion to smooth it out..I document my excision progress on my post..

Not many PS or dermatologist that offer excision for acne scar, they prefer to offer laser cause they'll make more money. I went consult with several dermatologists and plastic surgeons until i found my PS that suggest excision for my acne scars.

Laser good for resurfacing but you have to deal with the pitted scars first. Unlike laser, with excision it only need to be done one time, if it turn out well the result permanent. Keep in mind that everyone skin and healing ability is different. I think you have to consult with PS and ask whether you'll be a suitable candidate for excision. But please skip laser. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@celaya)

Posted : 06/13/2014 4:45 am

I personally don't think you're that bad or severe. Lasers do carry a lot of risk and if you like being outdoors a lot you could possibly get some hyperpigmentation afterwards if you're not to careful wearing sunscreen. I think derma-rolling could possibly work best for you if you are willing to work on it. Since you're light skin maybe a deep chemical peel might help with some superficial scarring.

MemberMember
(@helenaw)

Posted : 06/13/2014 7:46 pm

You could check to see if microdermabrasion would work for you.

MemberMember
(@scarredemon)

Posted : 06/15/2014 11:25 am

Hey mindgame1, some of the scars on your temple seem like a good candidate for excision. But I would not have any done on those on the cheek especially the ones sitting on your cheek bone. Im no doctor but the cheek area has too much tension and will cause the stitches to stretch hence inadequate healing.

Fillers and PRP are other good alternatives- though not permanent or may not last as long as youd like.

Adding on, lasers are meant to level things up. Hence no point of using laser if the deep scars are not going to respond to it as effective as the shallow ones; it'd make those more prominent. However I did read that radiofrequency (i.e. ematrix) helps to build collagen better as compared to fractional lasers or dermabrasion.

Scarredemon

MemberMember
(@panicjack)

Posted : 06/15/2014 12:20 pm

I'm 1000% sure microdermabrasion won't work!!! Keep your money to have something else. I don't know so much about laser, but I heard laser like a type of fraxel repair is good for those scars.However, risks are there.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 06/15/2014 3:46 pm

Location, location, location! The location of your scars make them easier to treat, especially the ones on your temple. I have noticed that areas supported by bone respond the best to Fraxel Re:pair.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 06/15/2014 4:43 pm

Location, location, location! The location of your scars make them easier to treat, especially the ones on your temple. I have noticed that areas supported by bone respond the best to Fraxel Re:pair.

Money, money, money! Not everyone has $4000 for repair.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 06/15/2014 5:22 pm

Why spend less on something that won't work? Eventually he will come to spend the money on Re:pair anyway,and he will have wasted money on stuff that don't work.

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 06/15/2014 7:24 pm

Oh ok. So