Notifications
Clear all

Supplements

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 05/17/2014 7:47 pm

I was wondering if there should be a limit on how many supplements you take at a time. Right now im doing Probiotics, milk thistle, aplha lipoic acid, b-complex, magnesium, zinc, cod liver oil, biotin and vitamin d3. Any i should throw out or keep?

MemberMember
(@senoritastephie)

Posted : 05/17/2014 11:28 pm

Just make sure you aren't taking too many of most of the supps you're taking. Some of them you should make sure you balance them out since if you take too much of one you can deplete another important mineral or vitamin. Basically with mag and zinc, I'd just take those in multivitamin form since you could deplete calcium, potassium (when it comes to mag) and with zinc it could affect copper levels. I used to find some supplements that would combine magnesium, calcium, and potassium as well as one that combined copper and zinc. Could be an alternative if you don't want a multi. Don't know if that'd help you with acne, though. Of course, it's probably best to talk to a doctor or a pharmacist about all that, and this is just my opinion from research. Vitamin D, just make sure you don't take too much or too little. Easy enough to figure out if you go to a doctor to get your labwork done. Mine is always low, so they have me on a high dosage (I wear way too much sunscreen and will not budge on it). Biotin sometimes breaks people out, so it's up in the air on that one. This is the only one I'd question if you should toss it for the moment and eventually reintroduce it to see if it has an effect on you. The other ones you could always do the same, just get off them then reintroduce them one by one to see if it makes a difference in your skin.

Also look at your diet to make sure you're getting enough nutrients that way since they're best absorbed through actual food. I did one diet a long time ago that cleared my skin for the longest time. I didn't take any supps back then. If you're interested it's called something like perricone prescription or something. There's also a book for acne by another doctor that dealt with nutrition (a bit different than dr. perricone, but not by much) called the clear skin diet. Worth checking either of those out.

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 05/17/2014 11:35 pm

Just make sure you aren't taking too many of most of the supps you're taking. Some of them you should make sure you balance them out since if you take too much of one you can deplete another important mineral or vitamin. Basically with mag and zinc, I'd just take those in multivitamin form since you could deplete calcium, potassium (when it comes to mag) and with zinc it could affect copper levels. I used to find some supplements that would combine magnesium, calcium, and potassium as well as one that combined copper and zinc. Could be an alternative if you don't want a multi. Don't know if that'd help you with acne, though. Of course, it's probably best to talk to a doctor or a pharmacist about all that, and this is just my opinion from research. Vitamin D, just make sure you don't take too much or too little. Easy enough to figure out if you go to a doctor to get your labwork done. Mine is always low, so they have me on a high dosage (I wear way too much sunscreen and will not budge on it). Biotin sometimes breaks people out, so it's up in the air on that one. This is the only one I'd question if you should toss it for the moment and eventually reintroduce it to see if it has an effect on you. The other ones you could always do the same, just get off them then reintroduce them one by one to see if it makes a difference in your skin.

Also look at your diet to make sure you're getting enough nutrients that way since they're best absorbed through actual food. I did one diet a long time ago that cleared my skin for the longest time. I didn't take any supps back then. If you're interested it's called something like perricone prescription or something. There's also a book for acne by another doctor that dealt with nutrition (a bit different than dr. perricone, but not by much) called the clear skin diet. Worth checking either of those out.

Thanks a ton for your input. I am going to the doctors soon and will give him my list of supplements and report my findings. Im going take your advice and cut off biotin for now. As for my diet, it's all whole and natural foods, no dairy, gluten, sugar, and am going to completely cut grains and carbs and im starting to eat nonfat greek yogurt to see what that does. It's just hard to know what is and what isnt causing acne whens theres so many things to try and do and cut.

MemberMember
(@senoritastephie)

Posted : 05/17/2014 11:43 pm

And so many different opinions and options and advice, haha. For me, I know if I cut out most carbs/grains (except for oatmeal) and coffee, my skin clears up. It's so hard to keep that up long term, though I did it for a year. I know other people have said citrus, but I haven't noticed that for me. And with biotin it seems like some people it's great for and others it's not. So frustrating! So definitely can understand any frustration :( Good luck! I'm sure soon you'll figure it out since you're being quite proactive. Especially with the diet since I think that's the hardest thing to do when it comes to acne.

MemberMember
(@nbury)

Posted : 05/18/2014 12:11 am

Ok good cause i love oatmeal and was intending on that being my only source of carbs/grains from now on (: The best my skin has been is when i went on a veggie, fruit, nuts and seeds diet only for a week, but i felt very sluggish, like it was hard to walk up stairs. Also what do you think about eggs? I eat free-range organic eggs.